Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Legal to ride doors-off?

Old 04-14-2007, 11:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I wrote my test for vehicle safety inspections in Nova Scotia, Canada I asked about driving with my doors off on my Samurai. I was told that unless they were an "option" on the vehicle (like older Jeeps) they had to be on the vehicle.
I was also told that I probably would have no problem as long as I had mirrors and wasn't causing any trouble. Because people have been driving without doors on Jeep type vehicles for so long that they don't enforce it.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:22 AM
JK Freak

im not really suprised they dont say anything about the tops and doors off...what about a motorcycle...they dont have windsheilds, or doors, or helmots (fl)
Old 04-15-2007, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bofer84
im not really suprised they dont say anything about the tops and doors off...what about a motorcycle...they dont have windsheilds, or doors, or helmots (fl)
LOL only an idiot would ride w/out helmEt.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:13 PM
JK Freak

right you are
Old 04-15-2007, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ClownBaby
LOL only an idiot would ride w/out helmEt.
And sometimes an idiot rides WITH one:

Old 04-16-2007, 03:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Oh I forgot, I rather look cool and have a high chance of dying....
Hey, ur head, whatever works for you buddy.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:47 PM
JK Newbie

This is from the Texas State Transportation Code. The link is at the bottom.

"Sec. 547.602. MIRRORS REQUIRED. A motor vehicle, including a motor vehicle used to tow another vehicle, shall be equipped with a mirror located to reflect to the operator a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet from the rear of the vehicle."

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...ighlightType=1
Old 02-15-2011, 10:19 PM
JK Freak

I would say that truth be told, pretty much everything is illegal. If you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, and end up with a shitty DA - you have the potential to be in legal trouble pretty much no matter what. With however many 100s of thousands of laws, it is a pretty sure bet you are breaking one or more. How many of you have more than 4 lights facing forward on your vehicle? That is illegal in Colorado. They are not supposed to even be on there, covered or not.

I don't think doors off are illegal in Colorado though. I have been parked next to a police officer, that gave me a nod, without doors and windshield folded down. I know the windshield is illegal though. On the other hand, I have had a cop do a doughnut around me (high speed) in the parking lot and flip his lights on - to "see what I was doing". A few months after that, about 10% of the police officers in the department were arrested or fired (Arvada, CO). But once you are into the system - you stay there.

Kinda luck of the draw. And even if it is legal to ride doors off, you are going to draw attention and if you do draw the bad cop (who else would pull somebody over for that?) if he wants to you are going to get a ticket, even if he makes it up.

I don't think doors off are so out of line to worry about it though, and you just have to hope that your process if it ever occurs will have someone else in there that thinks the same. The only exception I would make in there is kids in the car. If you are riding doors off, and have kids in the car then get hit - prepare for punishment. As if your child getting hurt wasn't enough. I would imagine child endangerment, child abuse, and others would be tacked on there and prosecuted in many locations.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've never had problems cruising around door-less. Even rolled up to a cop or two, had a conversation and rolled on with out a word or cross look. As with most things, if it is illegal police use their discretion to enforce it. I have always driven my Jeep respectfully of others and the law, besides door-lessness, and have never gotten a ticket or even a warning. *knocks on wood*
Old 02-16-2011, 05:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zking1776
I've never had problems cruising around door-less. Even rolled up to a cop or two, had a conversation and rolled on with out a word or cross look. As with most things, if it is illegal police use their discretion to enforce it. I have always driven my Jeep respectfully of others and the law, besides door-lessness, and have never gotten a ticket or even a warning. *knocks on wood*
Same here!

Quick Reply: Legal to ride doors-off?