Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Legal to ride doors-off?

Old 03-23-2007, 07:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it legal to ride with your doors off, top off, and windshield down, while driving naked?
Old 03-23-2007, 07:40 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AZCA jeeper
Is it legal to ride with your doors off, top off, and windshield down, while driving naked?

If your name is Rosie Odonnell or Rosanne Barr, it is illegal, immoral, a crime against nature, humanity, the seven senses, God, the laws of physics...
Old 03-23-2007, 07:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07JKX
Dont piss em off... and you'll be fine!
That's a good summary, and rule of thumb.

That's always been my approach - show courtesy and respect, because they're just doing their (very dangerous and stressful) job. I stop short of kissing their ass, because that's not "me," but I've found that if you're a real person with them, and show some respect, you'll get some back. That approach has gotten me out of a few tickets; I part company with them wishing them a good day, and they do the same. MUCH better than driving off all pissy with a big ticket!
Old 03-23-2007, 08:11 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
That's a good summary, and rule of thumb.

That's always been my approach - show courtesy and respect, because they're just doing their (very dangerous and stressful) job. I stop short of kissing their ass, because that's not "me," but I've found that if you're a real person with them, and show some respect, you'll get some back. That approach has gotten me out of a few tickets; I part company with them wishing them a good day, and they do the same. MUCH better than driving off all pissy with a big ticket!

i still get tickets... and i am respectful unless they are an ass first (cocky, arrogant, derogatory, etc.) then i respectfully take my ticket and inform them that they wont need to show up to my court b/c it will be dismissed by the end of the day... that is of couse a last resort and after i endure their verbal abuse and demeanor...

Working for an attorney and personally knowing the DA's,ADA's, Solictor's, Judges, Clerks, and staff really comes in handy in this "good ole-boy" favor system they call Justice...

The problem lies in not the police itself, but rather the fact that the seasoned vets that know how to talk to folks and have much better judgement and experience are retireing and being replaced by these young, hardcore, top guns that think that a badge and gun gives them this huge power over erveryone... it really sucks when they meet me and ticket me, b/c last time i checked, I have more power than they do!!

Of course, there are always exceptions to the young cops

Last edited by 07JKX; 03-23-2007 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:22 AM
JK Junkie

i still get tickets... and i am respectful unless they are an ass first (cocky, arrogant, derogatory, etc.) then i respectfully take my ticket and inform them that they wont need to show up to my court b/c it will be dismissed by the end of the day... that is of couse a last resort and after i endure their verbal abuse and demeanor...

Working for an attorney and personally knowing the DA's,ADA's, Solictor's, Judges, Clerks, and staff really comes in handy in this "good ole-boy" favor system they call Justice...

The problem lies in not the police itself, but rather the fact that the seasoned vets that know how to talk to folks and have much better judgement and experience are retireing and being replaced by these young, hardcore, top guns that think that a badge and gun gives them this huge power over erveryone... it really sucks when they meet me and ticket me, b/c last time i checked, I have more power than they do!!

For sure, there are some cops out there on power trips, but I don't think it's limited to the young ones. The meanest, most miserable SOB cop I've ever dealt with was a seasoned veteran, and I was just as nice as I could be - he was a pr1ck all the same, and must've been having a bad day or something.

As I'm sure you know, you reap what you sow (in every area of life - not just tickets!).
Old 03-23-2007, 08:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
If your name is Rosie Odonnell or Rosanne Barr, it is illegal, immoral, a crime against nature, humanity, the seven senses, God, the laws of physics...
Hey Rosanne bar was on Jay Leno a couple nights ago. All I heard was "MOooo, mo, moo mo, moooooo, mooo moo." I guess shes doing some kinda show in vegas where she dances at the end in here underware. And when asked if she was staying at a five star hotel, she said "I can't stand them fancy hotels. I'd rather have a trailer in the desert."
Old 03-23-2007, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Elon, NC

Haha, You wanna meet some worthless, a$$hole, scumbucket, nothing better to do police officers, Just head to Elon, NC! I went to school there. THeir sole purpose is to harass the student body for additional township income. Thank the lord I am no longer subject to their harassment.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

there's already been code from VA posted, but just wanted to add...

we had a 97 TJ and took the doors off a few times, no probs. didnt even put on another side view mirror to make up for the one on the door.

of course, i live in a rural county west of richmond, so here they probably dont care so much, but im thinking in general that people would shrug off most things like this since after all it IS a jeep. just looks more normal than driving, say, a Toyota Camry with the doors off lol
Old 04-08-2007, 06:05 AM
JK Freak

Are you the janitor of the court?
Old 04-08-2007, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Laws are generally written to say what cannot be done, not what is allowed. It doesn't surprise me that there is no mention of doorless vehicles in the vehicle code in most states, or in the federal guidelines.

As a countering point of view, since the federal guidelines, and most state vehicle codes do not stipulate anything about the subject local governments can make ordinances and laws covering the subject (since it won't violate a "higher" state or fed law). This means your local GA cop may be right. In his jurisdiction it may well be illegal at a local level. There are local ordinances against cell phone usage, makeup, reading, loud pipes, and all sorts of things that are not covered at a state or federal level.

A local community near me had an often challenged ordinance that you cold not drink or eat anything while driving. I received a ticket for drinking my coffee and had to fight it to get rid of it. The ordinance has been repealed since.

Quick Reply: Legal to ride doors-off?