Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Legal to ride doors-off?

Old 03-02-2007, 08:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are Federal guide lines all states must go by.. I will find them and post...
Following is the link where to start looking..

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/legsregs/legislat.html

Last edited by 1BADJK; 03-02-2007 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here in Denver, CO I frequently drive my CJ7 with a no doors and rear view and driver's side mirrors (no passenger side mirror). 2 years and no problems. It's an orange CJ7 with 5" lift and 35x12.5" Baja Claws, so it's not exactly flyin' under the radar.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could get around the door law by removing the doors, putting a mirror no the windshield fram, and put safari dooors on.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:12 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Obviously this varies from state to state and such, but I would think its perfectly legal to not have doors. After all you see people like UPS drivers driving around without doors, and other delivery type trucks, all the time. I would think it all has to do with the mirrors- period. Even then, I'm sure they aren't required everywhere. Good question though, I'll have to consult my state statutes.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default im in ct too

ct is trying to enforce a law that you cannot remove the doors on a 4 door, but a 2 door is grandfathered..... i bought my jeep at madison jeep in ct. they are used to catering to the wealthy clientelle, yet were eager to hear about my plans for my 2 dr x i ordered from them, they got word of some law that you cannot take the doors off of a 4 dr wrangler. ill ask them when i pick it up this week...
Old 03-06-2007, 06:06 AM
JK Jedi

I think the bottom line on this issue is that it is illegal in most places, but most places choose better things to enforce - unless you're driving around like a moron.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:41 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JackMacOKC
I think the bottom line on this issue is that it is illegal in most places, but most places choose better things to enforce - unless you're driving around like a moron.
That's just it, though - in most places, it's NOT illegal, as long as you have proper sight lines (i.e. mirrors) and are wearing a seatbelt, etc.

That's the purpose of this thread - for each of us, being all over the country, to figure out if our states allow doors-off driving in a Wrangler. There's no "one-size-fits-all" answer, but I'll agree with you on the point that, even where it IS illegal, most places don't enforce it unless you're driving like a moron.

Since I'm in CT, I'm very interested in Zeeksta's follow-up - I haven't heard anything about 4 door models without doors being illegal while 2 door models are legal... but I'm willing to be that if a cop saw someone in a 4 door driving around doorless with little ones in the back, they'd say something about it...
Old 03-06-2007, 07:52 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
That's just it, though - in most places, it's NOT illegal, as long as you have proper sight lines (i.e. mirrors) and are wearing a seatbelt, etc.

That's the purpose of this thread - for each of us, being all over the country, to figure out if our states allow doors-off driving in a Wrangler. There's no "one-size-fits-all" answer, but I'll agree with you on the point that, even where it IS illegal, most places don't enforce it unless you're driving like a moron.

Since I'm in CT, I'm very interested in Zeeksta's follow-up - I haven't heard anything about 4 door models without doors being illegal while 2 door models are legal... but I'm willing to be that if a cop saw someone in a 4 door driving around doorless with little ones in the back, they'd say something about it...
Precisely, either way - its rarely enforced.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
4513.23. Rear view mirrors.

(A) Every motor vehicle, motorcycle, and trackless trolley shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the operator a view of the highway to the rear of such vehicle, motorcycle, or trackless trolley. Operators of vehicles, motorcycles, streetcars, and trackless trolleys shall have a clear and unobstructed view to the front and to both sides of their vehicles, motorcycles, streetcars, or trackless trolleys and shall have a clear view to the rear of their vehicles, motorcycles, streetcars, or trackless trolleys by mirror.

(B) Whoever violates this section shall be punished as provided in section 4513.99 of the Revised Code.
So this means as long as you have a rear view mirror you can ride in ohio with the doors off? I am curious about this one
Old 03-07-2007, 01:43 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by pmergler
So this means as long as you have a rear view mirror you can ride in ohio with the doors off? I am curious about this one

Yes. The rearview mirror will work..

take'm off.. have fun

Quick Reply: Legal to ride doors-off?