Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Legal to ride doors-off?

Old 01-23-2007, 09:19 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
Still need proper Eye protection in ohio... It can be safety glasses or a windshield... goes for motorcycles and cars.
Bingo.

To the best of my knowledge, this is the case in NY as well.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VA mirror requirement

No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway in the Commonwealth if the vehicle is not equipped with a mirror which reflects to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of not less than 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle.

No motor vehicle registered in the Commonwealth, designed and licensed primarily for passenger vehicular transportation on the public highways and manufactured after 1968 shall be driven on the highways in the Commonwealth unless equipped with at least one outside and at least one inside rear view mirror meeting the requirements of this section.

Notwithstanding the other provisions of this section, no motor vehicle which either has no rear window, or which has a rear window so obstructed as to prevent rearward vision by means of an inside rear view mirror, shall be required to be equipped with an inside rear view mirror if such motor vehicle has horizontally and vertically adjustable outside rear view mirrors installed on both sides of such motor vehicle in such a manner as to provide the driver of such motor vehicle a rearward view along both sides of such motor vehicle for at least 200 feet
Old 01-23-2007, 10:53 AM
JK Newbie

I'm surprised nobody from PA has piped in..... I live in NY on the PA border and have been ticketed for violations in PA including No doors, my off road lights not being covered and tires sticking out from my fender flairs. All tickets were rescinded as the vehicle is registered in NY. A small group of us were stopped and ticketed on a return trip from Paragon Park. From threads I've read on other boards the Pa laws are the most restrictive of any state.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

It IS legal to ride with windsheild down and doors off in CANADA. You just have to have mirrors and wear seatbelts. I am sure if an officer wanted to be picky he could find some fault but a lot of cops drive jeeps and none that I talked with would be so anal.

I guess it is like driving with a cell phone, eating while driving, smoking or..... I am sure someone could be at risk but no good police officer would waste his/her time to go to court for it.

I do know that wheels outside the fenders will get you a ticket...like that!
Old 01-23-2007, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think it is interesting knowing that I could get a ticket driving from an oil change after having a reminder sticker placed on my windshield.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:04 PM
JK Freak

Default Washington state

I've driven for years with no doors (spring, summer and fall) just a bikini top on the rig. I've never been issued a citation - which doesn't mean it's legal. But I was pulled over last summer and the officer didn't mention anything about the doors being off. H-m-m-m?
Old 01-23-2007, 01:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by emtjeep
I think it is interesting knowing that I could get a ticket driving from an oil change after having a reminder sticker placed on my windshield.
Doesn't that suck... Here in Oregon anything hanging on rear view or sticker on the front gets you a ticket... I park in a parking garage.. I hang a parking permit from the rearview.. Forgot to take it down... Got a ticket... Here in Oregon its all about the rear view and windshield wipers.. The law states you do not need a windshield or any protective glass.. As long as you have windshield wipers..
Old 01-23-2007, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1BADJK
Doesn't that suck... Here in Oregon anything hanging on rear view or sticker on the front gets you a ticket... I park in a parking garage.. I hang a parking permit from the rearview.. Forgot to take it down... Got a ticket... Here in Oregon its all about the rear view and windshield wipers.. The law states you do not need a windshield or any protective glass.. As long as you have windshield wipers..
Boy those sound like trolling tickets! You know just enough to pull you over with hopes of finding more. Our laws say that you need the rear license plate light. State troopers started using that as a reason for stops until the Judge informed them that he didn't want to see those citations in his court anymore I've been out of L.E. for about 4 yrs now so I don't know what they're using now.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a friend here who is a cop and he wanted to check out my Jeep as I'm the only one around here with a 4 door. After he checked it out I asked him about the doors. He said as long as I have mirrors I'm fine. MD law also states that if the vehicle came equipped from the factory with a passenger mirror, you need both.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:57 PM
JK Freak

I had a street legal dune buggy in texas and to get it legal i had to get windshield wipers but didnt have to have a windshield. Go figure...

I live in sunny south florida and i drive my jk daily with the top and doors off. I have a drivers side mirror relocation kit from Mopar that I use. I haven't been pulled over yet and i even have out of state tags. I also drive onto an air force base, and the air force cops are just as anal about vehicle laws, and have never said anything.

Quick Reply: Legal to ride doors-off?