Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Legal to ride doors-off?

Old 01-23-2007, 07:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Legal to ride doors-off?

OK folks -

This is an oldie but a goodie... is it legal to ride on-road, with doors off, and seatbelt on (forget that it's winter at present)? I know that different states have different laws, and I'm hoping that we can get folks from around the country to share their information in this thread, so that we all have a good reference source.

As for me, I'm in CT, and after several fruitless Google searchs, and wading through the legalese of the CT DMV guidelines, I'm still no closer to an answer... :confused: However, given that the side mirrors are ON the doors, I'm making the assumption that this prohibits doors-off motoring on public roads in CT. On the other hand, if someone installed windshield-mounted mirrors (I think I've seen some folks asking about these in other threads), I think it'd be a valid argument FOR the legality of doors-off motoring (assuming you're also wearing your seatbelt[s])...

Another consideration, that's probably not been covered, given that there are now 4-door models... Are the rules different for rear-seat occupants? (I'm getting the classic 2-dr, but I'm thinking that this post should benefit everyone, right?)

Anyhow - would the good Jeepers on this forum care to weigh in?
Old 01-23-2007, 07:42 AM
JK Jedi Master

Default Ohio

4513.23. Rear view mirrors.

(A) Every motor vehicle, motorcycle, and trackless trolley shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the operator a view of the highway to the rear of such vehicle, motorcycle, or trackless trolley. Operators of vehicles, motorcycles, streetcars, and trackless trolleys shall have a clear and unobstructed view to the front and to both sides of their vehicles, motorcycles, streetcars, or trackless trolleys and shall have a clear view to the rear of their vehicles, motorcycles, streetcars, or trackless trolleys by mirror.

(B) Whoever violates this section shall be punished as provided in section 4513.99 of the Revised Code.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a guy at my work in Colorado who drives his Jeep into work doorless and topless in the dead of winter. He's obviously insane, but legal

I don't know if the 4 door thing makes any difference. But generally speaking, it's all a matter of mirrors.

-E
Old 01-23-2007, 08:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jake_Blues
There is a guy at my work in Colorado who drives his Jeep into work doorless and topless in the dead of winter. He's obviously insane, but legal

I don't know if the 4 door thing makes any difference. But generally speaking, it's all a matter of mirrors.

-E
So he's legally insane
Old 01-23-2007, 08:28 AM
JK Newbie

In North Carolina
One needs to have one mirror facing back (the rear view) unless it is a farm truck or tow vehicle - on which extended dual mirrors are required.

For all passenger vehicles (jeeps included here) an additional outside mirror is required on the drivers side. The law stipulates a mirror with no distortion (ie no mirror that says objects are closer than they appear). However, with all the law enforcement officers I know, none of them knew the law that even requested the mirror to begin with.
I used an old harley mirror (long stem) in the door hing of the TJ. I hope this will work for the JK also.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:38 AM
paragon

I think you'll find the limitation in most states, that would have a limitation, would exist in the mirror provisions. Just the mere fact of having your doors off, I doubt, is covered under any code. So, for your state, you could research the passenger vehicle requirements for the mirrors and get a good read.

For me, I would have to have mirrors anyway as I've gotten to use to using them.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:43 AM
JK Junkie

Thumbs up Thanks - keep it going

Thanks for all the great info so far - I agree that mirror regulations are probably the key to interpretation (after all, I haven't seen a motorcycle with doors -- yet). ;-)

BTW: I think I saw a picture of that dude in CO riding doors-off/topless in winter... it was in the dictionary next to "hardcore," and also next to "lunatic."
Old 01-23-2007, 08:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Speaking of 4 doors, I would expect you would probably test the system in states that allow for doors off, if you have kids in the back. I bet you'll draw some attention. Seems like having kids in car seats, but no doors is kind of defeating.

I've thought about this alot, since I have kids (1 1/2 and 4) and will hopefully be ordering soon. If I went with a 2 door, I'd likely get hard doors, since I wouldn't feel bad taking them off, or putting aftermarket soft doors in their place.

If I went with a 4 door, I'd get half doors, since I wouldn't feel right taking the rears off with the kids back there (nor getting aftermarket soft doors). Half doors will still provide protection, but get closer to that doors off feeling.

I'll start reading up on Michigan law, but I think you just need the driver side mirror.

Here is what I found for Michigan (Included all since it shows good information):

PASSENGER VEHICLE EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS
Michigan State Police
Traffic Services Section, Sergeant Tim Heideman
October 1997
ITEM CONDITIONS CODE SECTION

The following equipment requirements are in abbreviated form.
For detailed information, refer to the Michigan Vehicle Code.

Headlights Two or more, white, equipped with one on each side.
Minimum 24 inches, maximum 54 inches from ground.
Adjustable for upper and lower beam. Upper beam to reveal
persons 350 feet, lower beam to reveal persons 100 feet.
Beam indicator showing when upper beams are on; visible to
driver. No more than four lamps lighted at the same time. 685 699

Tail Lights Shall be equipped with at least one on rear, red; visible from
500 feet; if equipped with two, then shall at all times be
maintained in good working condition.

Stop Lights One on rear (two after January 1, 1965), red or amber;
visible day or night for 100 feet. Actuated upon application
of service brake.
697b

Registration
Light
Illuminates rear registration plate, white; sufficient to
illuminate plate to be clearly visible from 50 feet.

Turn Signals Required after January 1, 1955. Red or amber on rear;
white or amber on front. Visible 100 feet, day or night.
697a

Auxiliary Lights May be equipped with not more than two fog lamps,
mounted not less than 12", nor higher than 30". No more
than a total of four lamps, including headlamps, lit at one
time. White or amber beam.
696b
685d
699a

Brakes Adequate to stop and hold vehicle. Two means of applying
brakes to at least two wheels. Capable of stopping vehicle
in 30 feet from 20 mph.

Horn Working condition, audible for 200 feet. No whistle or
harsh sound.

Exhaust Muffler in good working order and constant operation. Tail
pipe and resonator if originally equipped, maximum 83
DBA.

Mirrors Outside rear view mirror on driver's side, properly adjusted.
Outside rear view mirror on each side if view through rear
window obscured.

Windshield Sufficient size to protect driver and occupants. No sign,
poster, non-transparent material, window application,
reflective or non-reflective film. Safety glass required.
708a

Glass No sign, posters, non-transparent material, window
application, reflective or non-reflective film on driver or
front passenger glass. Rear or side windows to rear of
driver cannot be composed of, covered by, or treated with a
material that creates a total solar reflectance of 35% or
more, including gold or silver reflective film. Wherever
glass is used, it must be safety glass.

Windshield
Washers
Required after January 1, 1956. Operational at all times. 709
Windshield
Wipers
Driver controlled. Operational at all times. 709

Tires 2/32 of an inch tread. No part of belting material, tire cords
or ply exposed. No evidence of ply or tread separation.
Not restricted from highway use.

Safety Belts Required for driver and one front seat passenger after
January 1, 1965. Conforms to rules and regulations.
710a
710b

Bumpers Required on passenger vehicle, including 4-wheel drive and
pickups. No more than 22 inches from ground.
710c

Suspension Not modified to defeat safe operation of vehicle. 710c

Last edited by Cdash; 01-23-2007 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not seen a classic jeep that came with doors. it is perfectly legal to drive with out doors. It is the mirror thing that gets you.

if you really want to stirr the pot. look up the windshield codes. It states that a vehicle must come with a windshield but does not state whither it needs to be up or down.

some times I drive my wwii jeep with the windshield down. I carry a copy of the vehicle code to show if I get pulled over. But with that jeep I can just play ignorant and they just tell you to put it up. I have yet to get pulled over. But then again it is all at the interpetation of the officer.

after all motorcycles don't have windshields. why does a car have to have one? or up for that matter? if the law just states that it must be supplied.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:11 AM
JK Jedi Master

Still need proper Eye protection in ohio... It can be safety glasses or a windshield... goes for motorcycles and cars.

§ 4513.24. Windshields and wipers.

section doesnt say anything about the windsheild having to be up..

(A) No person shall drive any motor vehicle on a street or highway in this state, other than a motorcycle or motorized bicycle, that is not equipped with a windshield.

(B) No person shall drive any motor vehicle, other than a bus, with any sign, poster, or other nontransparent material upon the front windshield, sidewings, side, or rear windows of such vehicle other than a certificate or other paper required to be displayed by law, except that there may be in the lower left-hand or right-hand corner of the windshield a sign, poster, or decal not to exceed four inches in height by six inches in width. No sign, poster, or decal shall be displayed in the front windshield in such a manner as to conceal the vehicle identification number for the motor vehicle when, in accordance with federal law, that number is located inside the vehicle passenger compartment and so placed as to be readable through the vehicle glazing without moving any part of the vehicle.

(C) The windshield on every motor vehicle, streetcar, and trackless trolley shall be equipped with a device for cleaning rain, snow, or other moisture from the windshield. The device shall be maintained in good working order and so constructed as to be controlled or operated by the operator of the vehicle, streetcar, or trackless trolley.

(D) Whoever violates this section shall be punished as provided in section 4513.99 of the Revised Code.

Quick Reply: Legal to ride doors-off?