Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Leaky Fluids

Old 04-01-2009, 05:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky Fluids

I've got some fluids leaking under the Jeep.

First is the front passenger axle area...

Here is what the fluid looks like. It feels exactly like motor oil.

This is about in the center of the vehicle, which would normally be protected by the air dam. The bar you see at the top of the photo is the one that runs across the front of the vehicle behind/under the front bumper. This looks like old engine oil but is grimy from the road.

I talked to someone about this and they seem to think this is power steering. This is front driver side of the engine bay. It is right next to the reservoir for coolant.

That fluid is red-ish in color. Its closer to water in feel, meaning, it doesn't feel like oil.

So, if anyone has any ideas of what I have going on here, I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts. I'll be bringing it in for service pretty soon and this will likely be the last time while under warranty. So, if this is something that I can get fixed under warranty, I'll be super happy that it happened now and not in a couple months!

Thanks for all your help!
-Bob
Old 04-01-2009, 05:47 PM
JK Junkie

The first one, might be an axle seal. If physical fluid is dripping out the axle tube, you might have a defective axleshaft seal.

The second one, looks as if you have a power steering line leak. Either the line is leaking, or the pump is leaking down onto the line.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:57 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate that.

I'll do some searching around the site here for axle seal, but is this something that can be replaced under warranty?

Based on the looks, I guess I would lean toward a line leak as there is only one line that is ugly looking. However, there is the fluid around the power steering unit itself.

I guess I'll bring it into the dealer and see what they have to say. They've been very good about servicing the warranty. I've got a 4" lift and 33s. Would the bigger tires cause the axle seal issue?

Thanks again.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Axle seal in pic 1. The bigger tires can void the warranty work on the axle if your Dealer isn't mod friendly.

The second is power steering line. Larger tires can put stress on the power steering as well.

The actual parts for these repairs are cheap. The Dealer may be able to fix without Chrysler approval. Its normally the pricey items that get shot down because the Chrysler rep gets involved with the warranty claim.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:30 AM
JK Freak

Fortunately, my dealership has been very mod-friendly. A lot of the guys in the shop like to take a walk around it when I bring it into the bay and are always very interested of what I've done. (It's not even that well-built). So, I'll explain what I've got going on and they'll (hopefully) help me out.

I'm glad it happened while still under warranty though. It'll save me a few bucks. Thanks for the thoughts guys.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:46 PM
JK Freak

Crawling around today, greasing some stuff up, I noticed this plastic piece was cracked. What is it for and is it something that I should get fixed when she goes to the dealer for her checkup? Thanks.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:28 PM
JK Newbie

the rubber hose in the 3rd pic is the transmission fluid feeding line to the trans cooler. the fluid on the 2nd finger pic looks like ATF-4.

the last pic is the dust cap on the axle shaft.

Quick Reply: Leaky Fluids