Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Leak? - Liquid in battery tray and front passenger wheel well

Old 06-09-2024, 08:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Leak? - Liquid in battery tray and front passenger wheel well

Hey All,

My 2011 JK has been going pretty strong since the last time I visited the forums . However, during install of new hood latches, I noticed a new pooling of mystery liquid under my battery tray and dripping through the front passenger wheel well. At first, I thought my new battery was leaking and took it back to Advanced Auto. They tested both the battery and the yellow-brown odorless liquid. Battery was still in great health and the liquid wasn't acid. I wiped it with a paper towel and continued running errands this afternoon. When I got back home, there was more liquid in these areas. FWIW, it rained for 10-15 minutes while I was out, but I'm doubting this is rainwater.

Any ideas on what this is and where its coming from?

Thanks,

Alex

Last edited by Goonyer10; 06-09-2024 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-10-2024, 05:46 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,699 Posts

That is an odd one. Not a common area to get any liquid besides battery acid. Outside of rain intrusion, the only thing that comes to mind would be if your windshield washer line was busted and just spraying in the engine bay and the fluid was just dirty cuz engine dust or grime down in the tray. Curious to see what turns out to be.
Old 06-13-2024, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Before proceeding wear safety goggles or face shield. Before I'd do anything, I'd pull the battery and sprinkle a small bit of Baking Soda on wet area, observe for about an hour and see if it bubbles or there's a chemical reaction. It could be dried up battery acid mixed with something else. Looks like battery terminal protectant. But you can never be sure. I'd pull the battery, grab a garbage bag, paper roll and start wiping. After that, get a bottle of soapy water and scrub with a paint brush and toothbrush and rinse. If this we're my Jeep, it wouldn't be clean until it was white glove clean. And I don't ignore battery's. They leak, explode and do all kind of bad things to ya.
One other thing. What does it smell like. It almost looks like Antifreeze. And that stuff has an odor.

Last edited by MountainTrails88; 06-13-2024 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-13-2024, 08:31 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by MountainTrails88
They leak, explode and do all kind of bad things to ya.
I had a battery explode on me before when trying to crank car over. Scared the living bejesus out of me.....like a bomb went off. Blew the entire top of the battery off
Old 06-13-2024, 01:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
I had a battery explode on me before when trying to crank car over. Scared the living bejesus out of me.....like a bomb went off. Blew the entire top of the battery off
You we're jump starting would be my guess. I can tell you things about battery's most people don't know. Usually when a battery starts to die, a cell is dead or dying, it becomes a bomb.

Last edited by MountainTrails88; 06-13-2024 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-13-2024, 03:02 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by MountainTrails88
You we're jump starting would be my guess. I can tell you things about battery's most people don't know. Usually when a battery starts to die, a cell is dead or dying, it becomes a bomb.
Nope, completely random and freak thing. Went out after work one day, turned key to crank, boom!
Old 06-21-2024, 07:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Goonyer10
Hey All,

My 2011 JK has been going pretty strong since the last time I visited the forums . However, during install of new hood latches, I noticed a new pooling of mystery liquid under my battery tray and dripping through the front passenger wheel well. At first, I thought my new battery was leaking and took it back to Advanced Auto. They tested both the battery and the yellow-brown odorless liquid. Battery was still in great health and the liquid wasn't acid. I wiped it with a paper towel and continued running errands this afternoon. When I got back home, there was more liquid in these areas. FWIW, it rained for 10-15 minutes while I was out, but I'm doubting this is rainwater.

Any ideas on what this is and where its coming from?

Thanks,

Alex

Did you figure out what this is? I have the same thing. Thr car is always in the garage and i dont drive in the rain as doors are always off.

Quick Reply: Leak? - Liquid in battery tray and front passenger wheel well