Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Knocking In Pedals

Old 05-14-2010, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hansen65
On really windy days I get a clunk in the front at highway speeds. I crawled under my Jeep and the only thing I could find to duplicate it was rotating the tie rod up and down by hand. It clunks every time it hits the end of travel. Its annoying but its not worn out or anything according to Jeep so I just live with it.
I had the same thing happening to me. It felt like something loose in the suspension and I could feel it in the gas pedal. Turns out it was the front drivers side fender liner that was loose. Tightened it up and have never had the windy day clunk since. I have no idea how it transfers the feeling to the gas pedal area but that cured it for me.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:45 AM
JK Newbie

I guess I can feel it in the pedal but mostly the steering wheel. I hol dthe wheel firmly with both hands and when traversing bumps it feels like something down the column or shaft is moving back and forth. Still no luck with the dealer:(
Old 05-14-2010, 01:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Badfella
I guess I can feel it in the pedal but mostly the steering wheel. I hol dthe wheel firmly with both hands and when traversing bumps it feels like something down the column or shaft is moving back and forth. Still no luck with the dealer:(
Ya the dealers are no help at all...Im printing this entire thread though and bringing it back for them to read, and try some of these ideas.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

heres one of my receipts from getting this fixed maybe that will help
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	steerclunk..jpg
Views:	102
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	67354  
Old 05-15-2010, 05:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RonFDNY77
heres one of my receipts from getting this fixed maybe that will help
Cool thats really helpful actually. No problems since?
Old 05-15-2010, 07:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

its good for approx 8-9000 miles then comes back , htne i have it replaced... had it replaced 3x so far last time was last month
Old 05-15-2010, 08:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine went away for the most part over the winter. It's back now along with warmer weather.

One of the threads here mentions something about the A/C lines causing this as they are not as secure as they should be.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by drumnatural
Mine went away for the most part over the winter. It's back now along with warmer weather.

One of the threads here mentions something about the A/C lines causing this as they are not as secure as they should be.
thats exactly what mine was doing, the first time it happened to me was mid spring and got worse towards summer ..
Old 05-20-2010, 11:53 PM
JK Newbie

It happens to me too. My JK has only 1500miles and I started feeling it a couple of week ago since weather got warmer. I feel it when the engine is warm, lets' say after 30 minutes of driving.

I feel it when I turn the steering wheel all on the right (clockwise) then immediately on the left (ccw)
Old 05-21-2010, 04:02 AM
-

Happended on both my JKs every 20000Km (15000miles)... have the dealer replace the steering column 3 times now (easy to see it under the hood). It fixes the knocking felt on the pedals/steering/floor (not easy to pin-point). With the heat from the manifold, the joints in the column get loose upon heating. This problem is felt when engine is hot on hot days when you were stuck in traffic for a little while... all conditions that get the part very hot.

Quick Reply: Knocking In Pedals