Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Knocking In Pedals

Old 05-09-2010, 10:14 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hansen65
On really windy days I get a clunk in the front at highway speeds. I crawled under my Jeep and the only thing I could find to duplicate it was rotating the tie rod up and down by hand. It clunks every time it hits the end of travel. Its annoying but its not worn out or anything according to Jeep so I just live with it.
When I upgraded my tie rod, this issue stopped.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow some really good ideas guys thanks a lot.

Im taking this info straight to the dealer to prove that Im not crazy!!!

Keep 'em comin!!
Old 05-10-2010, 09:11 AM
JK Freak

I was just about to post this, I am experiencing the same exact thing. It happens every few seconds even if the wheel is straight or turned.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mrlobaloba
I was just about to post this, I am experiencing the same exact thing. It happens every few seconds even if the wheel is straight or turned.
Have you had a chance to troubleshoot at all? I'm sure of the above ideas will help, you can agree with how irritating it is eh?
Old 05-12-2010, 05:54 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
The steering clunk is caused by any of the following..

Worn tie rod/drag lin ends, loose/old/ungreased intermediate steering shaft, bad/worn steering gear.

I would start with the shaft and go from there..
So the clunk I've had since 80 miles is because all these old parts?

I've greased the slip-shaft on the column with no positive results. No real reason why it should be there, I'm at 13k and it's been there since i can remember.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:04 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
So the clunk I've had since 80 miles is because all these old parts?

I've greased the slip-shaft on the column with no positive results. No real reason why it should be there, I'm at 13k and it's been there since i can remember.
Yes it can be any of these parts.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Fathom
Just a suggestion, after about 5-6K miles and my first real "wheeling" trip I noticed a "thunk" in my steering wheel when backing out of my garage and could also hear a "ticking" sound. There are several posts on the forum about a collar that is supposed to go between the steering shaft and the firewall which slips down the shaft. you need to reseat that and then use a hose clamp to keep it from happening again. Once I had done this the "clunk" and the "ticking" were gone. I don't have a before pic but here is my after the fix pic.

Hope this helps, (there can be other causes of the "clunk").
I was reading this post and checked my Jeep out. You state "Soft plastic tube" and are using 2 clamps to hold it. I only have the bushing and the square shaft coming out and going to the joint with no plastic tube in sight. Any ideas??
Old 05-13-2010, 10:38 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JTEE07SAHARA
Have you had a chance to troubleshoot at all? I'm sure of the above ideas will help, you can agree with how irritating it is eh?

I have, not the weather has gotten cooler here and the clunk has gone away momentarily. I ll have to wait for a warmer day.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mrlobaloba
I have, not the weather has gotten cooler here and the clunk has gone away momentarily. I ll have to wait for a warmer day.
Wow you're describing everything the exact way its happening to me. It pretty much ONLY acts up when its nice out...what the hell is up with that? The other day it was beautiful out and its the worst Ive ever felt it.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

i didnt read all the posts but this was characteristic of the Steering Clunk ..many threads on that.. i has the same thing , felt it in the pedals usually started after 15 min or so of driving when the jeep was warm or anythng in the summer when it was hot.. it was my intermediate steering shaft had it replaced 3 times.. each time it was replaced it was like new for about 8000 miles then it would return

Quick Reply: Knocking In Pedals