Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Knocking noise from rear of Jeep

Old 04-12-2010, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking noise from rear of Jeep

I've been getting this knocking/rattling noise from the rear of my 2008 Jeep. I think its coming for the hatch door. Keeps knocking/shaking etc when I am driving, does any one else have this problem.

Anyone know how to fix this problem etc

thanks
Old 12-31-2010, 12:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Im getting this problem too on my 07 2 door. I was thinking it was due to my 35s on stock suspension but nothing is rubbing or hitting. The sound reminds me of something popping back into place.... like a spring or the CV from the driveshaft is knocking. Either way i need to get under there(when i get back in town) and see whats the dilly yo! No one else?
Old 12-31-2010, 03:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Check your rear sway bar links. My front driver was loose and it was making a terrible knocking noise.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may sound too easy but it never hurts to throw it out there. Is it possible that you have something in your little storage compartment rattling around? I only say this because you mentioned that it seems to be coming from around the hatch door.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:40 PM
JK Junkie

I have had similar problems when a spring didn't reseat properly.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for you help guys. Being not all that mechanicaly inclined I appreciate any all input. May the new year bring you H,W, & H.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:21 PM
JK Newbie

Location: Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

i had this, it was my 35" inch tire breaking the spot welds on my tailgate near the hinges, also on the outside you can see two bends in the sheet metal making an < shape from the hinges. I have since then gotten a tire carrier.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Another thing to check could be your factory jack that's underneath the rear storage compartment. I didn't realize it for a while but mine was knocking around loose in the mount every time i would hit a bump and I thought there was a serious problem. I couldn't find anything loose inside or outside the jeep until i finally looked under the carpet.; Duuuh

Quick Reply: Knocking noise from rear of Jeep