Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

keyless remote batt. life

Old 06-12-2009, 03:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keyless remote batt. life

as a precaution, i replaced mine this morning. been in since 06. wonder what kind of life they have? just did not want to be somewhere and find it dead. batt number is CR2032.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info.
FWIW, when I traded in my 05 truck, it was still on the original battery.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Post Keyless Entry

I believe I read somewhere in the owners manual that they are expected to last two years.
I believe even if it went dead, you could still use the actual key to open the door, and the alarm will shut off when you turn the key in the ignition?
Never tried it, but I will when my key fob battery goes dead in the future...I am just terrible about "preventative" maintenance...ain't broke don't fix it mentality here.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Battery life obviously depends on how much you use it, AND how often you put it in you pocket and press the buttons while your sitting down, that will eat up a battery quick.

When the battery gets weak you distance shortens at which the remote still will open the locks. When you notice the distance shortening it is time to think about a new battery.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Usually 2+ years but the alarm doesn't shut off when you open with the key. If you actually set the alarm - using the fob - then you have to shut off the alarm with the fob. But the battery going dead is no big deal. You have 2 keys so if one goes dead the second should be fine until you reload the first.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by davidwm71
Battery life obviously depends on how much you use it, AND how often you put it in you pocket and press the buttons while your sitting down, that will eat up a battery quick.

When the battery gets weak you distance shortens at which the remote still will open the locks. When you notice the distance shortening it is time to think about a new battery.

X2 -- Had you notice the drop off in range? It fades over a significant period of time so people shouldn't be surprised.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:00 AM
JK Newbie

damn 2 years i call BS!!! My 03 ram still has the same battery in it since I bought it brand new in 03. If mine craps out soon im going to be a little pissed
Old 06-13-2009, 05:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

It cost me $4 for two batteries at Walmart, so when I noticed the distance getting short on the remote, I changed them. Easy and good insurance.

Quick Reply: keyless remote batt. life