Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Keyless Entry Range

Old 03-16-2009, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jword
I've heard and used the put the FOB to your chin method and I didn't see any difference, always those times where your clicking away at it waiting for it to get in range like a addict. I get between 50-100ft no problem.

Not to hijack the thread but I heard a story of a guy locking his keys in the car and calling his wife to hit the key FOB over the phone while he held his phone next to the car... I have never tried this, when i find a way to lock the keys in the Jeep while using the key FOB I will let you know!
That would be one way to get some pretty crazy range on your key FOB but then you would have to be next to the Jeep anyways...?

we tried this at work with my boss's f-250 and it worked, he is one for locking his keys in the truck

as for rang i get about 100 ft
Old 03-25-2009, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Dealer visit with poor key range

hey, I went to JEEP for the second time and like before they started telling me my key range sucks because Jeep changed to a shorter range because of terrorists using key fob's for detonators. I was shaking my head 'NO' as he proceeded and when he finally shut up I told him what TripleJeep_99 said in the last post about testing the WCM .........and -SHAZAM- they found a fault reading with the WCM and ordered one on warranty. thanks TripleJeep_99 for the advise I'll write back when the module gets changed out and hopefully corrects my problem too.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hiddenprey
we tried this at work with my boss's f-250 and it worked, he is one for locking his keys in the truck

as for rang i get about 100 ft
Probably wasn't locked.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am working on 6th floor of office tower, I was just able to remote lock the jeep parked on the roof of a 4 storey parkade almost 2 blocks away.

I don't know how far that is, but the range improved substantially since I upgraded to the remote start system. The signal reciever or key transmitters must be much much better.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well.. I get about 15' max. Less than that if there is anything at all between me and the Jeep... Like my body.

So I went to the dealer and let them know that range is very short and asked them to do a diag on the WCM module.

After about an hour and a half wait they came back and told me that everything is working normally. "Unable to duplicate problem. Working as intended."

Based on what I'm reading here I doubt they even tested the WCM module. Somewhat frustrated and losing confidence in the dealer. While this issue is minor I've got an engine noise that concerns me that they are not able to track down. Guess it might be time to try the other local Jeep dealer's service department.

Quick Reply: Keyless Entry Range