Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Keyless Entry Range

Old 10-28-2008, 02:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wdb
Yeah the only thing holding the FOB up to your chin is going to accomplish is you looking like a dumbass.

My range is probably 15 ft tops. Sometimes 5. I just figured to hell with it and deal.
Have you actually tried the chin thing?
It worked for me.

Reciever is probably behind the instrument cluster almost hanging off the main harness or something.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:45 AM
JK Freak

Would like to see what the difference is for someones that doesn't work all that well (how many feet) then try the chin thing and see how far that increases it.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:33 AM
wdb
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HolyJoe
Have you actually tried the chin thing?
It worked for me.

Receiver is probably behind the instrument cluster almost hanging off the main harness or something.
Yeah... I tried it. Made sure no one was looking. But I tried it. After being pestered all day at school about how it works I went down to my truck after school with the girl that was convinced it did indeed work and tried. Needless to say my F-150 didn't unlock from a greater distance via chin.

To this day I am sure she still does it. But she was never the smartest peanut in the turd. (She was voted most gullible by our entire senior class BTW)

Maybe its just my vehicles. Or possibly I'm not a good enough transmitter. You'd think I would be with my gigantic head.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would guess atleast 50 + feet not sure I'll try and get a better distance.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:34 PM
JK Super Freak

I get about 10' as well. But other than allowing it to annoy you, 10 feet or 100 feet doesn't make a difference. As long as it unlocks for me, all's well. I think measuring things that make no difference is a guy thing. You know "let's see if mine will unlock farther than everyone elses".
Old 10-30-2008, 10:30 PM
JK Freak

I'm just curious to know how much further away the chin thing will make it work. Would just like some hard numbers if it works for someone. Not measuring to see if my works farther away than someone elses.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've heard and used the put the FOB to your chin method and I didn't see any difference, always those times where your clicking away at it waiting for it to get in range like a addict. I get between 50-100ft no problem.

Not to hijack the thread but I heard a story of a guy locking his keys in the car and calling his wife to hit the key FOB over the phone while he held his phone next to the car... I have never tried this, when i find a way to lock the keys in the Jeep while using the key FOB I will let you know!
That would be one way to get some pretty crazy range on your key FOB but then you would have to be next to the Jeep anyways...?
Old 12-01-2008, 06:46 AM
JK Newbie

I have a working prototype going right now of a way to remote start the vehicle using an existing remote start FOB (from MOPAR) and a couple of those GMRS radios. The potential range is 2 miles or so but my intent was to make it work from inside my office. It's a long walk to the Jeep and outside the range of my normal remote start FOB. A little soldering is required and basic knowledge of the picaxe programmable IC (PIC). It's at least a solution for the range problem. My MOPAR FOB probably gives me 500 feet or so line of sight.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get 20 feet tops. Sometimes I have to walk back toward the Jeep to get it to lock.

My Toyota Tacoma gets at least 100 feet & I sometime use the "panic" function to find the truck in the parking lots. Of course with the Yellow 4DR it's always easy to spot, so there's no need.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

depending on what is around me. cars, building, people or whatever. Mine will work 50 - 150 feet away. but I really only use it when I'm about 10 feet away.

Quick Reply: Keyless Entry Range