Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Key Won't Turn in Ignition

Old 02-18-2013, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Key Won't Turn in Ignition

I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem or know of someone who has.

2010 JKUR not under warranty: the key goes all the way into the ignition (or it appears it does) and it will not turn. I'll finesse the key around a bit and then it finally "engages" and I can turn the key without any issues. By engaging, I mean I can now push the whole ignition assembly into its detent and turn the key to the first position out of OFF. No, the steering wheel isn't stuck. I tried both of my keys and both of them have the same issue, eliminating a bad key. One of the times I turned the key to a point that didn't feel right and the car alarm went off. Not sure if that was a slip of the thumb depressing the panic button on the key fob, or if the finessing around set something off. However, depressing the panic button stopped the alarm. I'm just looking if someone has inside knowledge on what may be going on before I have to call the stealerships.

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2013, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

It sounds like you may just have a bad ignition switch. I have replaced one before, not on the Jeep though.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2010 JK has the same problem, but it is inconsistent. Typically, when it does happen it takes a little wiggling to find the perfect fit.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

may sound silly but is the wheel in the locked out oosition and its in park?
Old 02-19-2013, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just a thought Ifyou bought your jeep from someone there is a good chance he has made a duplicate key.. The jeeps come with this smart key concept or something like that ... Which only lets you use the two keys the dealer have given you, so even if you go to make an additional key it will give you trouble like this.. I had this when I made a duplicate key to open my fuel cap (coz I hated switching off the jeep during refueling ) and one of the guys try to switch it on using the duplicate key ...
Old 02-19-2013, 01:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your Jeep is pissed off that you called its engine underpowered in your bio. Try changing your bio and see if that fixes it.

Sounds Like a bad tumbler in the ignition cylinder.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-19-2013, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Auto or Manual?

If auto, grab the shifter and make sure it's all the way forward. My issue on my '08 was the opposite, couldn't get the key out sometimes. A little bump to make sure the shifter was ALL the way forward into park and I was able to turn the key the rest of the way and remove it. Never tried it the opposite way to see if it would prevent me from inserting and turning the key... Shrug?
Old 02-19-2013, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shockwaveaz
I think your Jeep is pissed off that you called its engine underpowered in your bio. Try changing your bio and see if that fixes it.

Sounds Like a bad tumbler in the ignition cylinder.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
ShockwaveAZ, thanks. Sounds like that may be the issue...the tumbler that is. She started with no issues today, go figure. Seems like she doesn't like being called underpowered even though she slowly accelerates up here at the high altitude.

If the ignition starts to act up more often, then I'll give the stealership a call.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nbjeep
Auto or Manual?

If auto, grab the shifter and make sure it's all the way forward. My issue on my '08 was the opposite, couldn't get the key out sometimes. A little bump to make sure the shifter was ALL the way forward into park and I was able to turn the key the rest of the way and remove it. Never tried it the opposite way to see if it would prevent me from inserting and turning the key... Shrug?
Sorry, I should've been more explicit. It's a 2010 JKUR 6-spd.

Yeah, my wife has an ole Cherokee that had an issue with the neutral safety switch on her auto (similar, but different starting problem); that was a bugger to fix.

Quick Reply: Key Won't Turn in Ignition