Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Keeping stereo thieves away! Can you change the position the steering wheel locks in?

Old 05-07-2010, 01:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by countrydude1992
turn the jeep off with it a little off center, then go to turn it center. the wheel will lock itself after turning just a bit. you may need to try it a few times to figure out just how much turn it takes to lock it, but i know it will lock no matter how far it is turned. hope that helped give it a try and let us know how it worked
Didn't work. Seems like it will only lock if i turn the wheel 180 degrees. It says to do what you said in the manual also but doesn't work for me. I wonder if there's something wrong w/ my wheel. I'm also getting the steering knock sound very subtly after i've been driving for a while...
Old 05-07-2010, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robar
Yeah, the Tuffy thing looks pretty well built but it's just so damn big and ugly!! I like the clean, sock look of the dash and would hate to have to live with that monster in there.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wmcvey
I don't think this is a good solution. The bad guys aren't going to know that you did this before breaking in, and fuxxing up your NAV/Kenwood unit. Can't you just pull it out yourself when parking, is it a pull out unit ?
It doesn't have a detachable face or anything if that's what you mean. Pulling it out would probably make the whole unit reset and would prob be a big pain in the ass.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toad
Unfortunately, the club is not really a deterent. Here is some info I found on how thieves break the club:

What Is "The Club"?
1. The Club is a patented car-theft prevention device that is designed to prevent a car from being successfully driven. It's essentially a stainless steel bar with an extender in the center. Pointing outward from either end are hooks that fit into the insides of a steering wheel. When locked in place, the club takes up so much space that it prevents the steering wheel from being successfully turned, rendering any car incapable of being driven until it's removed. The Club can only be removed conventionally with a key, fitting into the integral lock at the center of the bar. Sometimes a car owner may misplace or lose her key, effectively stranding herself until a locksmith can be called to remove the device. This costs both time and money. Thankfully there are other ways to remove The Club in a pinch, though none that will leave it intact for further use, unfortunately.

Method 1
2. The best way to remove The Club without the aid of a key requires a can of Freon, the same chemical used to recharge a vehicle's air conditioning unit. You also need the valve stem attachment that comes with it and a hammer or other heavy metal tool. By connecting the valve stem to the can of Freon and then spraying the Freon directly into the slot of the lock, one can cause the metal of the lock to ice over. Keep in mind that Freon under pressure such as this is dangerous if inhaled and should never come into contact with human skin. It's so cold that it will actually cause the metal of the lock to become brittle. A stout impact with a hammer, wrench or tire iron will shatter the frozen metal, allowing The Club to be removed.

Method 2
3. Because of the relatively thin shaft of The Club, the lock in the center is not very sturdy. A flat-head screwdriver can be inserted into the lock and driven inward by means of a hammer. This will strip the thin gears of the cylinder in the center of the lock. The gears would typically only align if a key were inserted, but they can be sheared clean off with brute force, allowing the cylinder of the lock to be turned and opened with a simple twist of the screwdriver.

I've also heard of thieves cutting through the steering wheel to get the club off. Just something for you to think about.
Though it may not be impenetrable it still another step that thieves would have to go through. To defeat the club they would have to have some tools, time and skills. I don't think the thieves around me have any of those 3 things. I'm only using it for the stereo and not the car anyway.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SilverJK12
I have the tuffy cover and it works great! I have an after market alarm with proximity sensors with a key pager. So basically the thief gets in my car and once in the prox alarm goes off it pages me! By the time he tries to get the tuffy cover off I am right there!!! I also have the prox set to warn away, so if they look in the jeep with doors off it will chirp a few times and send me a warning page to let me know it warned someone. The settings can be set to however you like.... Also I have a backup siren in case they clip my battery under the jeep. The hood has a lock and key to keep in locked to under the front hood. Basically, if you want something in my jeep ! You better do it faster than 30 seconds or I am on your ace ! Lol
Which system do you have? I'm looking into getting a system with a pager. Yours sounds like exactly what I want.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:44 PM
JK Freak

Ditto on the above.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DudeManBro
Though it may not be impenetrable it still another step that thieves would have to go through. To defeat the club they would have to have some tools, time and skills. I don't think the thieves around me have any of those 3 things. I'm only using it for the stereo and not the car anyway.
Unfortunately, it takes only seconds to remove that club.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DudeManBro
It doesn't have a detachable face or anything if that's what you mean. Pulling it out would probably make the whole unit reset and would prob be a big pain in the ass.
Since you already have your Kenwood, it's kind of a mute issue. But a detachable face would work for you, and I once had a unit that was made to completely pull out. Had a small hidden handle that you would lift up, then pull out.

Quick Reply: Keeping stereo thieves away! Can you change the position the steering wheel locks in?