Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Keeping stereo thieves away! Can you change the position the steering wheel locks in?

Old 05-04-2010, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keeping stereo thieves away! Can you change the position the steering wheel locks in?

I live in a very bad area for vehicle break ins. My 97 Wrangler has been broken into 4 times and i've lost a lot of precious gear over the years w/ a hardtop and a soft top. I don't want the same thing to happen to my JK. I've been trying to find a fail safe way of preventing my aftermarket Kenwood mulitimedia/Nav unit from being stolen and the best thing i've found so far is to use "The Club" on the steering wheel and align the steel bar so that it blocks the face of the stereo, preventing anyone from pulling the unit out. Currently my '08 Sahara steering wheel only locks when the wheel is turned so that the word "Jeep" is upside down. With the club attached it blocks the stereo but is not quite as effective as it would be if the wheel locked right side up. Is there a way I can get the wheel to lock so that "Jeep" faces the correct way? The club would line up perfectly w/ the dash and would be a great solution for keeping my unit from getting stolen.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

turn the jeep off with it a little off center, then go to turn it center. the wheel will lock itself after turning just a bit. you may need to try it a few times to figure out just how much turn it takes to lock it, but i know it will lock no matter how far it is turned. hope that helped give it a try and let us know how it worked
Old 05-04-2010, 02:08 PM
JK Jedi Master

Have you seen this?
http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-234-1...over-tray.aspx
Old 05-04-2010, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

An "NRA" sticker can work well
Old 05-04-2010, 02:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't think this is a good solution. The bad guys aren't going to know that you did this before breaking in, and fuxxing up your NAV/Kenwood unit. Can't you just pull it out yourself when parking, is it a pull out unit ?

Last edited by wmcvey; 05-04-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

X 2 on the Tuffy cover.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:34 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Robar
While it certainly slows things down, there is a thread on one getting ripped to shreds.

Sorry to the original poster. In my opinion, security and Wrangler don't go together. I keep really nothing of value in mine, glove box and console unlocked so they don't break it going after...nothing. My steering wheel doesn't even lock at all on my '09
Old 05-04-2010, 08:47 PM
JK Newbie

You are lucky that you own a 08 with a steering wheel lock, 2010's don't have the added theft protection of a steering wheel lock. I'm not sure about 09's. The wheel lock might have been eliminated so that the Jeep can be flat towed without the ignition switch being on.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:55 PM
JK Super Freak

I have the tuffy cover and it works great! I have an after market alarm with proximity sensors with a key pager. So basically the thief gets in my car and once in the prox alarm goes off it pages me! By the time he tries to get the tuffy cover off I am right there!!! I also have the prox set to warn away, so if they look in the jeep with doors off it will chirp a few times and send me a warning page to let me know it warned someone. The settings can be set to however you like.... Also I have a backup siren in case they clip my battery under the jeep. The hood has a lock and key to keep in locked to under the front hood. Basically, if you want something in my jeep ! You better do it faster than 30 seconds or I am on your ace ! Lol

Last edited by SilverJK12; 05-04-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know the club can be removed and is not completely full-proof for keeping your car or stereo from getting stolen. I'm just trying to give thieves a harder time. If they look in the car enough to see a stereo there they'll be able to see that there's the club blocking it. That in addition to the red LED that blinks from the factory security system and the red light that blinks on the stereo its self I am hoping is enough to get most criminals to move on to the next car. Its in the city so there's plenty of easier options for thieves. I'm not dealing with criminal masterminds here. Most of the vehicle break ins are the result of someone leaving something expensive out in the open and are simple snatch-and-grab type operations. People's apartments are right up against the street and cars are easily visible through the windows. I'm also considering an aftermarket security system with a pager because I can usually park very close to my apartment. I read in the manual that the stock sentra security system is wired to detect the doors, tailgaite, ignition but does anyone know if it also would go off if a window was broken?

Quick Reply: Keeping stereo thieves away! Can you change the position the steering wheel locks in?