Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Kayak rack okay for gutters on hardtop?

Old 01-02-2007, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
Dont you think its wierd, all the ads show the 4 door with kayaks on the roof, and then they say you cant do that..
My thoughts exactly...
Old 01-02-2007, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

It looks to me like in the commercials they don't have a roof on the JK. Also says on the bottom in real small print that it's a THULE rack system.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Might i make a suggestion for now?? I as well love kayaking i duck hunt out of them, fish, camp ect. and i could not wait for them to design a rack but when they do ill probly get one, but for now i went to Gander mountain ( bass pro shop or any kayak shop) and i got four foam pads. they are kinda C shapped the flat part sits on the top and the C part under the kayak then i tie it down. i have carried two kayaks on top of my hardtop with no problem and it only cost me 30 dollars for the pads to carry two kayaks. just a suggestion till a rack comes out or perament if you like.

if any one is wanting pics i can post some it you like
here is a site with a few products this kit comes with the tie downs as well that why its 60 dollars. http://www.harmonygear.com/stuff/transport/index.html
hope this helps for fellow kayakers
Old 01-05-2007, 07:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cowboypunk
I just received an email response back from ron at garvin. They will have a modular rack system by end of march, early april of 2007. I need one bad for all my windsurfing gear.
cowboypunk: any indication of the design of the garvin racks? Will they be safari type that attaches to the windshield mounts? I can't see any design that utilizes locations on the freedom top as anchoring points to be strong enough to withstand the day to day stresses of wind buffetting and loading and unloading. Thanks for the heads up though. I will check in at Garvin periodically to check the progress.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:30 PM
JK Newbie

Default Kayak Rack for Unlimited Softtop

I just called Lange Originals yesterday and ordered their rack kit. The kit mounts like a light bar in the front, and looks like a goalpost in the back. They said it works for the JK Unlimited, as long as your boats are long enough to span the vehicle. I'll post photos when I get the rack.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Farbuckle
Cincinnati, OH
'07 Unlimited Sahara
Green Metallic
Old 06-23-2007, 07:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by farbuckle
I just called Lange Originals yesterday and ordered their rack kit. The kit mounts like a light bar in the front, and looks like a goalpost in the back. They said it works for the JK Unlimited, as long as your boats are long enough to span the vehicle. I'll post photos when I get the rack.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Farbuckle
Cincinnati, OH
'07 Unlimited Sahara
Green Metallic
Have you received your rack yet? What do you think? Any pics?
Old 06-24-2007, 01:32 PM
JK Newbie

Default Here Is The Solution!!

I have had a Yakima rack mounted for over a month now. I used the 60 inch Yakima Tracks made for fiberglass. I cut about 8 inches off of the track. Mounted the tracks onto the hardtop (back piece). Then I used the #1 landing pads and control towers. Mounted my bars and then my Yakima Mega Load Warrior. Problem Solved.

When you bolt down the tracks, just get as close to the side as possible. On the inside drill out an area with the whole saw. Tighten the bolts and use the silicon provided. There ya go!! I will try to post some pics later!

-pikejd
Old 06-26-2007, 07:39 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by clw54
Hi. Brand new to this forum. What a great resource for jk owners. Just recieved my Rescue Green jk unlimited x and wondered if the rain gutters on the hardtop are strong enough for my yakima sea kayak rack. Actually will be moving two yaks most of the time.
Cheers
I was at an kayak outfitter the other day.
The Thule catalog had the JK raingutters rated
at 150lbs. They recommended #300 gutter
packs and 58" bars.

I have that exact set-up and have hauled a
55 lb. kayak on Thule "J" hooks(#815) 100 miles
with no problem. I'm sure I can load another
kayak on the other side with another set of J-hooks.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:39 AM
JK Newbie

Default mounted a yakima bars and basket to my freedom top

hauled two whitewater kayaks on it for 2.5 hours at 65-70mph with no problems. my setup uses three 60" bars, two are attached to the gutters using yakima's gutter mounts, the third bar usese yakima's artificial gutters which are bolted thru the freedom top and then the bar has the afore mentioned gutter mounts. very secure, and no discernable problems to date.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:43 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thule Racks

I use Thule rain gutter racks on my unlimited and have hauled three white water kayaks (two creek boats and one play boat) at 75 mph for two hours with no problems.

Quick Reply: Kayak rack okay for gutters on hardtop?