Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Just went from Sport springs to Rubi springs.. any adjustments needed?

Old 04-04-2012, 01:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just went from Sport springs to Rubi springs.. any adjustments needed?

Just went from Sport springs to Rubi springs.. any adjustments needed? This Jeep has 200 miles on it now.

Springs went from 14/14/56/56 to 18/18/59/59 and also swapped from Sport 16" wheels to Sahara 18" wheels. Brand new tires, under 100 miles. Between tires and springs, I gained a total of 5" in front and 4.25" in rear. The steering is now "looser" than it was with the stock springs. Like it is more likely to wander, although its not terrible at all. (Did that lift specifically give me more negative caster causing instability?)

Do you think I should go get an alignment, or is it honestly not needed? It drives 100% straight, just worried about the sloppy-er steering. I have been doing my own mechanics for 20+ years, so I have a decent backround and knowledge. My steering wheel is about 1/4" to the left now, and I can fix that myself with the easy sleeve fix.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:58 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rustyshackleford
did you loosen all your control arms and trac bars before installing new springs?
no... never heard of that before.. dang. i mean i could do it now.. is there any page about it, so i know which areas to loosen and retorque? both ends of track bar? upper and lower control arms at the swivel point? both front and rear?

thanks for the advice bro
Old 04-04-2012, 02:00 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That flighty feeling is from the caster. Ur caster is now lower than stock.. Stock 4.3, and ur lower than that.
U would want adjustable control arms to fix it. A good idea also is what ^^^^^^ said to loosen all control arms and track bars, shake jeep while on level ground, and re tighten everything.
And if ur steering wheel is straight, nothing an alignment shop can do will fix it without adjustable parts.... Track bar, control arms, etc.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-End-Alignment

Last edited by rinkishJK; 04-04-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:29 PM
JK Freak

steering wheel isnt perfect, but ill try that loosening everything as a first step. i mean i wouldnt think most of the people that go to oem rubicon springs need to buy adjustable lowers?? its a pretty minor lift i think. but if i were to buy some, i saw some fixed ones once, which i would prefer. They added a couple degress caster or something.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:04 PM
JK Freak

just took a gander under the jeep. looks pretty easy to get to everything. i started by removing the heat sheilds from the upper control arm frame side, and ill loosen them all tonight.

upper and lower control arms both front and rear
track bar ends both front and rear.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think I need to do the same. I recently swapped my X into some JKUR's.

Anyone have pictures of which bolts underneath will need to be loosened/tightened? There's a lot going on under there, more than what I am used to.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by The Collin
I think I need to do the same. I recently swapped my X into some JKUR's.

Anyone have pictures of which bolts underneath will need to be loosened/tightened? There's a lot going on under there, more than what I am used to.
i just studied it all, and highlighted the ones i need on my torque spec sheet: (course im not an expert, but this is my best guess)

FRONT
Upper control arms, both ends of the arm. (75 ft lb.)
Lower control arms, both ends of the arm. (125 ft lb.)
Track bar, both ends. (125 ft lb.)

REAR (All re-torque to 125 ft lbs.)
Upper control arms, both ends of the arm.
Lower control arms, both ends of the arm.
Track bar, both ends.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:47 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeepindreams
i just studied it all, and highlighted the ones i need on my torque spec sheet: (course im not an expert, but this is my best guess)

FRONT
Upper control arms, both ends of the arm. (75 ft lb.)
Lower control arms, both ends of the arm. (125 ft lb.)
Track bar, both ends. (125 ft lb.)

REAR (All re-torque to 125 ft lbs.)
Upper control arms, both ends of the arm.
Lower control arms, both ends of the arm.
Track bar, both ends.
Got done with all the work. Loosened all of the above, jounced front and rear. Then torqued it all again to proper specs. Then since I'm so OCD I went over all 18 points again and checked the torque. My arms will be wrecked tomorrow. 125 ft. lb is a lot for my arms.

Quick Reply: Just went from Sport springs to Rubi springs.. any adjustments needed?