Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Just some help needed, I'm new.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just some help needed, I'm new.

Just need to see if someone can help me here. Just bought a Jeep from a guy going bankrupt. Its newer but it's got some things on it that concern me.

2008 Sahara, 2DR

Top of the Power Steering pump is covered in fluid and seeped half way down the unit. Not the High Press. hose, looks like that gasket between the top cover. Is there a gasket?

Needs a flush: Where the heck is the petcock to drain the fluid? Man what a pain!

I can hear the engine stroking slightly when I crank it up, it goes away when it's warm, reminds me of an exhaust leak. Driver side manifold area. Do these things have weak exhaust sys?

Thanks for anyone's time.

JJ

Last edited by Stardogchampion; 01-21-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the things you are telling me, I would recommend taking the Jeep to a reputable mechanic. You start playing with your steering pump and fluid, you stand a good chance of burning up your pump.

HOWEVER

If you feel like this is something you can take on yourself, I will help you best I can.

1. Steering pump leak: With the engine secured, pull the cap on the reservoir and clean the seal, along with the outside of the pump. This way after some driving, you will be able to see where the fluid is coming from, if not fixing the problem (remember to replace the cap prior to driving or starting the engine.)

2. "Needs a flush" : Steering system or Coolant?

3. The start up noise you are hearing is common on most JKs, however, no guarantees you dont have an exhaust leak. Check the hardware on the collectors first, and check the seal around the exhaust manifolds for charing as a sign of leakage.

Hope it helps.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:27 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks

Thanks that was pretty fast reply. Nice to have people help right away.

The PS Pump is separate from the reservoir. I'm pretty sure is seeping out of the top of the unit. I'm ok with a lot of mechanical things, just have no familiarity with JEEPS. Have Harleys, choppers, lots of Fords. No Jeep till now. So anyhow, these pump units usually have a rubber diaphram right? Doesn't it double as the seal between the body and the top of the unit where the High pressure hose goes in?

Coolant flush, can't find the darn petcock. Help!

Thanks for the info on the exhaust, I should of thought of the black charring. I'll get a good visual inspection when it warms up soon.

Anyway brother, you're helping a vet with a weak back so I have to work slow. Just retired from the Marines in 07, plenty of time to tinker with things.

Much appreciated.

JJ
Old 01-21-2012, 11:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to help my friend.

I'm currently serving in the USCG out of Kodiak, AK.

I havent had any issues with the power steering pump, but like I said, I would wipe all of the fluid off of the affected area and keep a close eye on it.

The petcock should be located on the bottom side of the radiator. With a bad back it could possibly be a pain in the ass (or spine in your case) to get to it. I would recommend pulling the bottom hose and flushing the radiator with cool tap water. That should help dislodge any sediment in the radiator. I would then pull the upper hose from the block, remove the termostat and flush the engine with cool tap water.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

Default Kokiak?

My daughter and her husband just got stationed there about 6 months ago. Small friggin world man. Ok, yeah found the petcock, obviously never been opened and it's plastic! Yes, better go for the hose. I'd probably break it.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Just some help needed, I'm new.