Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Just Changed to Mobil 1 @1138miles

Old 12-23-2009, 10:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MACE24
Ok, doesn't JEEP give all us 2010 owners free oil changes, during the first 36,000 miles?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Royal Purple...but why spend your own money on changing your oil, and especially, incuring the extra cost of using synthetic?

That being said, and if I'm correct about above, have any 2010 owners, had a problem getting a 'free' oil change at 1000 miles (I currently have 867 miles) ?

Or do we have to wait till 3000 miles before we bring our JEEPs in for the first oil change?
I think it depends on the dealer. On my 2008 I got the first six free but that was dealer specific.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:11 PM
JK Freak

i didnt get any... or a owners manual hahaha... but msrp was 25... i walked out at 20k! hahah
black friday sale.. and hurting for business..
Old 12-24-2009, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Concerning the ticking. Is it mostly during startup? There are threads about this and the type of oil filter. I went to mobil 1 and frame oil filter. I don't have the ticks or the other problems with the dry start up.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:19 AM
JK Junkie

I have been doing my own oil changes and using Mobil 1 w/the mopar filter...Havent had any start up knocking or ticking noises....
Old 12-24-2009, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Jeep had a program on the 2010 that you got all service for the first 36,000 miles, but you needed to buy during a certain period and finance with GMAC.

Seems funny that you needed to finance with GMAC.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLK-JK23
i didnt get any... or a owners manual hahaha... but msrp was 25... i walked out at 20k! hahah
black friday sale.. and hurting for business..
You got me by $1,000!

Though I did leave with a Rubi
Old 12-25-2009, 11:53 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by seairland
I've had a few vehicles and my deduction in regards to the use of synthetic oil is my old work truck.

I bought it in 2000. It was a 99'. It had 18K miles on it. It ran rough, but as soon as I put Mobile 1, or, Pennsoil, into it, it ran smooth. I sold it about 6 months ago with 130K miles on it and it never gave me a days worth of trouble. I know, many things can be said for that, however, it always ran smooth and I always put synthetic oil into it.

My jeep has 3 free oil changes. And it always will have those.. I don't like regular oil or someone else doing it.
Ever since I was a kid, I've always been amazed at how sometimes a vehicle can run so much better with just a simple oil change. Case in point.....being the kid I was, I had a Dodge Dart "Swinger" w/ 340 and had neglected the oil for a bit too long. It just started to run "not as good". I thought I had something else going on, but decided I did need to go ahead and change the oil anyway. After the oil change I started it up and noticed right away how well it was idling. Turned out THAT was all that was wrong, and I couldn't believe it....
Old 12-25-2009, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I switched to Mobil 1 Full Synthetic at 10000km. I am also running a Motorcraft FL400-S Oil Filter. No problems yet.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

I switched to Mobile 1 and Fram filter at 1,000 miles and I thought the Jeep idled smoother and was a little spunkier. I can't say that I've noticed any more noise but as others have said, there are so many noises I'd be hard pressed to single a new one out. I just did the 12K oil change and it's running like a top. At my next service interval I plan on switching the differentials to synthetic as well. I haven't decided yet whether I'm going Royal Purple or Mobile 1. I'm kind of leaning towards Royal Purple since so many on here recommend it.

As for free oil changes, I was given a coupon for 6 free ones by the dealer but I don't intend to use them. I wanted to go synthetic right away and the coupons were for conventional oil only. I also like to do a first oil change at 1,000 miles and the coupons specified 6,000 mile service intervals. I also prefer to do that kind of work myself. I worked at a dealership in Ohio for 3 years right out of high school and saw plenty of mistakes made in the lube bays.

Last edited by JK-Blue; 12-25-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
Ever since I was a kid, I've always been amazed at how sometimes a vehicle can run so much better with just a simple oil change. Case in point.....being the kid I was, I had a Dodge Dart "Swinger" w/ 340 and had neglected the oil for a bit too long. It just started to run "not as good". I thought I had something else going on, but decided I did need to go ahead and change the oil anyway. After the oil change I started it up and noticed right away how well it was idling. Turned out THAT was all that was wrong, and I couldn't believe it....
I had the same car, yellow with the bumble bee stripe on the rear.

Quick Reply: Just Changed to Mobil 1 @1138miles