Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Just bought a 2 Door Hardtop - hardware?

Old 07-28-2010, 08:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Just bought a 2 Door Hardtop - hardware?

Hey guys, i finally was able to score a hardtop, but the guy doesn't not know if there is any hardware for the top. What i want to know is, are there torx screws that go on the front part of the rear section, to hold it down like the four door rear section? I'm going to get some fasteners from the hardware store tomorrow so i keep keep the rear bolted down in order to get it home, but i want to make sure i don't need anything else just to get it home. If there aren't the fasteners to the sound bar i'll just leave the freedom panels in the back until i get a set of those. I'm super excited

Worst part about the top is that it needs rear glass.. anybody know where i can find that? i'm gonna get a quote from a glass replacement place eventually, but i hope thats not too expensive..

It also has some scratches on the rear part of the sides.. should i touch those up, or bedline the whole thing and be done?

Thanks for the help guys, i know alot about the JK's, except for the hardtop stuff.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its a 3 piece top then at least mine has two bolts in the roll bar to hold the two front panels.
The rear section just has 6 screws (3 on each side).
Old 07-29-2010, 05:52 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by John_B
If its a 3 piece top then at least mine has two bolts in the roll bar to hold the two front panels. ...
I run all of the time without those two large, plastic-handled bolts in my four door.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Also... there is a washer cable and wires to run the rear wiper. Sorry, don't know where to get the glass. The wiring also runs the rear defogger. So, that is a consideration for the back window as well.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:54 AM
JK Junkie

Mark is it safe to run the hardtop like that?
When i go pick up the top i gotta take the highway.. it'll be alright at 70-75? just wanna make sure i don't watch my new top blow away.

once again sorry for the noob stuff about the hard tops..

once i get glass and touch up the top, i may not hook up the wiper and stuff until i get those funds for that.. should be alright though, gotta have glass in order for the glass to get fogged up, right?

So the two door top only has the 6 screws for the rear section, cool. and mark says the t-tops will be okay. Sounds good guys
one last thing and that should be it. What size are those screws(width)? I have to get some temporary hardware to keep the rear section on until i get it home and am able to do it how it's supposed to be.

Thanks for the help. i'll be sure to post pics

Last edited by Yamaha90; 07-29-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
When i go pick up the top i gotta take the highway.. it'll be alright at 70-75? just wanna make sure i don't watch my new top blow away.

once again sorry for the noob stuff about the hard tops..

once i get glass and touch up the top, i may not hook up the wiper and stuff until i get those funds for that.. should be alright though, gotta have glass in order for the glass to get fogged up, right?

So the two door top only has the 6 screws for the rear section, cool. and mark says the t-tops will be okay. Sounds good guys
one last thing and that should be it. What size are those screws(width)? I have to get some temporary hardware to keep the rear section on until i get it home and am able to do it how it's supposed to be.

Thanks for the help. i'll be sure to post pics
The screw specs are:

M8-1.25 x 30mm Button Heads

Of course, if all you can find are hex heads, those would work too.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
I'm not Mark but...Yes, it's safe. A lot of people don't use the bolts that go up into the soundbar area. As long as you have the three bolts on each side of the tub you should be fine. Even at highway speeds.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:55 PM
JK Junkie

Freedom panels fit great, as did the rear section. Although the top is an '09, (different center latch) i will modify the handle part so it will catch the middle hoop to keep it tight.

The plastic tipped long screws that hold the door surrounds for the soft top also fit up through the soundbar to keep the rear of the freedom panels secured.

the rear section is kinda beat up, i need to get some fiberglass resin and stuff in order to fix the corners by the doors, but otherwise it needs a coat of paint/bedliner and some rear glass. And eventually a wiring harness.

would that duplicolor spray on bedliner work well?

Quick Reply: Just bought a 2 Door Hardtop - hardware?