Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Just bought 07 X Unlimited with 4" BDS and 35's. Bad Move?

Old 11-22-2010, 07:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought 07 X Unlimited with 4" BDS and 35's. Bad Move?

Ok so I just bough an 07 jk unlimited with a 4in BDS and 35's with 30k on it. I was offered the extended warranty for 100,000miles for $2600 and I passed on it. I usually do all of my own repairs and maintenance and can usually fix anything I am faced with. Now I read on this forum and my gut is turning because of all the problems people are having with their jk and the 2007 year seems to be the worst. Should I go back and try to purchase the extended warranty or are they going to deny every claim I ever make because of the lift and tires. I plan on doing more mods in the future. Just nervous now and am not sure if I made a good choice on not buying warr. Any insight is much appreciated.

Last edited by JKOIIIOJK; 12-21-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

i would be worried about voiding the warrant for any reason so i would just go ahead and not get it. which is exactly what i did. IF something does happen and your warranty is void you just dropped that money on more paperwork that you had to fill out. i figured i would save money by doing my own work if by chance something ever does happen in the long run. ive had pretty good luck with vehicles though, my story might change if i ever buy a lemon.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:59 AM
JK Super Freak

I think all the problems you read here are a small percent off all the jeeps out there. I never liked the extended warranty my self. Just seems like a dealership rip off. They do seem to leave you out to hang very easily on the warranty. I have a 07 and have had no problems at all so 1 for the good. I do have a BDS 4 " long arm lift with no problems at all. Love the ride on and off the road. So up to you put for me a extended warranty is a waste of money.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:10 AM
JK Freak

I agree. I would not loose sleep over the extended warranty. Chances are they would deny any serious claim anyways due to the lift and tires. $2600 goes along ways to making repairs yourself.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:58 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKOIIIOJK
Ok so I just bough an 07 jk unlimited with a 4in BDS and 35's with 30k on it. I was offered the extended warranty for 100,000miles for $2600 and I passed on it. I usually do all of my own repairs and maintenance and can usually fix anything I am faced with. Now I read on this forum and my gut is turning because of all the problems people are having with their jk and the 2007 year seems to be the worst. Should I go back and try to purchase the extended warranty or are they going to deny every claim I ever make because of the lift and tires. I plan on doing more mods in the future. Just nervous now and am not sure if I made a good choice on purchasing this jeep. What is the average cost of a used engine just in case I ever need to go that far. Any insight is much appreciated.
Is the extened warranty though Jeep or an outside warranty dealer? I bought an extended warranty till 100,000 miles, but it was through an outside vendor and work can only be done for it though Jeep.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKOIIIOJK
Ok so I just bough an 07 jk unlimited with a 4in BDS and 35's with 30k on it. I was offered the extended warranty for 100,000miles for $2600 and I passed on it. I usually do all of my own repairs and maintenance and can usually fix anything I am faced with. Now I read on this forum and my gut is turning because of all the problems people are having with their jk and the 2007 year seems to be the worst. Should I go back and try to purchase the extended warranty or are they going to deny every claim I ever make because of the lift and tires. I plan on doing more mods in the future. Just nervous now and am not sure if I made a good choice on purchasing this jeep. What is the average cost of a used engine just in case I ever need to go that far. Any insight is much appreciated.
I have a 2009 with 17,000 miles and 35s with a 4 inch lift. I have had no problems with it yet. But the service department has told me that with the tire I have void the warranty. He did mention my rear and my tranny. So I guest with a extended warranty it would not help me.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

Pictures of your new rig?!?!
Old 11-28-2010, 05:19 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks I will definitely pass on the extended warranty. Here is the only pic I have of it right now. More to come!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1115101522.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	105515
Old 11-28-2010, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

i got the extended warrenty and the dealership i got the jeep from went out of business.(riverside jeep and crysler) they were supose to transfer all my info to riverside moss bros dodge and didnt. when i bought my jeep it was out of the show room with 2 miles on it and came with a lift and bigger tires. i asked them if it will be covered with the aftermarket lift and they said yes because we did it we will cover it. well once all the problems started 3 months later that all changed. didnt want to fix anything that was broke because they would tell me it was the lift that was causeing it and they have no records of it in there computer. then to top it all off moss bros doesnt have any info on my jeep.well long story short make sure u get it on paper saying that the lift was installed by the dealer and that they will fix all problems.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:53 PM
JK Newbie

I got the lifetime warranty when I purchased my jeep in 2007. At 40K my water pump was leaking and needed to be replaced. The lifetime warranty covered it with no questions asked.

Quick Reply: Just bought 07 X Unlimited with 4" BDS and 35's. Bad Move?