Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

joined the gas tank spill club

Old 07-26-2011, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '07 was doing this for the last year or so. I say was, it doesn't do it anymore, or not in the last 3 months. And I haven't changed or done anything to it. Not sure why, but happy!
Old 07-26-2011, 12:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 08 2 door started doing this intermittently. Got the notice a couple of months ago and finally called my dealers service department in Costa Mesa. They told me that I would have to bring it in for a full diagnostic procedure to determine what the cause was. I told him I would call them back. Called the dealer in Placentia told him the same story. He said no problem and that he would order one for me and call me when it came in. Said it might be 3 to 4 weeks. Three days later they called and said it was in. Took it in and they replaced it right away. No pain no strain and it is working great for me.

Mike
Old 07-26-2011, 02:11 PM
JK Newbie

My soon to be traded in for a '12 JK, '08 Dodge Nitro does the very same thing. They got this fixed in the newer models??
Old 07-26-2011, 02:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Its the roll over valve in the tank. Only way to fix it is replace the tank. Mine was replaced in Feb 11'. It goes in next week to be replaced again! and the wireless control module. That bastard makes everything act retarded!
Old 12-13-2011, 12:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Brought my 2007 in today for the gas overflow issue and the dealer is ordering me a new tank. They said it will be covered 100% under the TSB. I am not the original owner but they said the warranty was extended for this particular issue. Good news!!!!
Old 12-13-2011, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

You found all 5 threads!
Old 12-13-2011, 12:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Only over pumps at some gas stations for me. It tends to always happen when I am in the jeep or not watching it. I stop it early and pump slow so I don't pay an extra 4bucks for the gallon I put on the floor.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:19 PM
JK Newbie

i contacted my jeep dealer last week about this issue. At first the person in service went to give me the run around because there is no recall for the gas tank for my year, 08 sahara 2dr. I proceeded to inform her that I had read online, here or on another forum, that there is a known issue with the gas tank spill out when filled and that chrysler is making an attempt to correct this issue only with customers who bring it to their attention and have not put out a blanket recall. So she spoke with her service manager and in turn they instructed me to make an appointment and bring it down to have the gas tank replaced free of charge.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:43 PM
JK Super Freak

I managed to make mine stop spilling by setting the gas pump in low flow.

Even with the free replacement, not sure I want the dealer screwing around my Jeep and messing up something else. :-P

Quick Reply: joined the gas tank spill club