Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

joined the gas tank spill club

Old 01-09-2011, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same boat, this sucks.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Puked some this week and have in the past.. "ma'm I just spilled fuel all over your station, sorry. got to go to work! at $3 a gallon it is getting expensive.

it hurts my head to do the math of how much I need so it does not do this... First warranty claim about to happen.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:03 AM
JK Newbie

Default Time to Hammer Chrysler

My 2008 JK will gush out with some gas getting on pants and shoes...easily 1-2 cups. Called the dealer Service Manager who acknowledged the problem is in design and the tank doesn't vent properly. Would require a new tank. At 52k miles, I'm out of warranty. Tank is MSRP over $300 parts only. They contacted the Chrysler Rep, and offered to cover it with a $100 deductible. Not acceptable to me for a Safety, Health, and Environmental design FLAW.
Contacted Chrysler Customer Service - that rep told me that they know there are some cases, but not under recall at this time. Reinforced the $100 deductible.
That rep also told me they had a similar problem with Durangos and those have been RECALLED.
Apparently, Chrysler doesn't feel there have been enough complaints to justify a recall.
I won't pay $100 for such a dangerous defect. Need JK owners to start hammering Chrysler, their dealers, and every forum to raise the issue.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

Default NHTSA and EPA

In addition, I have lodged complaints with:
NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) - they provide complaint forms on vehicles. Enough JK owners pipe up may force Chrysler to RECALL
EPA - Environmental Protection Agency. I lodged a complaint on Fuel Spills with Chrysler as the Perpetrator. Citing thousands of Jeep Wranglers spilling raw gasoline every day...while Chrysler makes no attempt to resolve the fuel spills. In the complaint, I provided Video Documentation from You Tube demonstrating the spill.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '08 is still under warranty because I bought it new in '09. When I made my appointment for inspection and oil change, I told my Dealer that I was having problems with the overflow. I received an e-mail the other day telling me parts were in. When I arrived for my inspection appointment I checked with Parts and surprisingly they had a gas tank for me. The Dealer replaced my tank yesterday, no questions asked. The note on the work order shows 'tank vent stopped up'.

I love my Dealership. They are wonderful to work with.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:16 PM
JK Freak

Happened to me for the first time yesterday. Filling up like I have a bajillion times before in the past. Only thing different is I tried a new gas station in town. seemed to be on of the fastest running pumps I have ever filled up at.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just had my fuel tank replaced yesterday. Called the Jeep customer service rep who contacted the dealership. Cost me $100 deductable, but with 70,500 miles and being an 07 I didn't complain. Nice to be able to fill the tank and not have it overflow.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:29 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oldduke62
My 2008 JK will gush out with some gas getting on pants and shoes...easily 1-2 cups. Called the dealer Service Manager who acknowledged the problem is in design and the tank doesn't vent properly. Would require a new tank. At 52k miles, I'm out of warranty. Tank is MSRP over $300 parts only. They contacted the Chrysler Rep, and offered to cover it with a $100 deductible. Not acceptable to me for a Safety, Health, and Environmental design FLAW.
Contacted Chrysler Customer Service - that rep told me that they know there are some cases, but not under recall at this time. Reinforced the $100 deductible.
That rep also told me they had a similar problem with Durangos and those have been RECALLED.
Apparently, Chrysler doesn't feel there have been enough complaints to justify a recall.
I won't pay $100 for such a dangerous defect. Need JK owners to start hammering Chrysler, their dealers, and every forum to raise the issue.
Excerpts from my 2007 warranty book....

Parts Covered for 7yrs or 70,000 miles

Wrangler
-ABS control module-3.8 Automatic
-Co-Extruded plastic fuel tank(18&21gallon)3.8L Automatic

Doesn't say anything about a deductable.In fact where it refers to get warranty service from dealer it says they cannot charge you for any diagnosis,parts or labor.

Maybe this appls only to california, im not sure, maybe ronjenx can figure it out.

Anyway, I just patched up my passenger side cracked manifold, I got the driver side done under warranty at 28,000m, I'm at 67,000m now and its been cracked awhile, just got worse.
My fuel tank spits like the rest, I've just learned to slow it wayyyy down to put the last few gallons in.Sucks.

Last edited by mkjeep; 01-15-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:57 AM
JK Newbie

Default mee too

Wife 2010 sahara joined today. She was filling from 1/2 tank.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

My 2008 Sahara Unlimited has been spilling gas, so I filed a complaint last week.

Quick Reply: joined the gas tank spill club