Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

joined the gas tank spill club

Old 01-07-2011, 05:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the club.
There have been many from here that have notified the NTSB about this but according to their site, they have 217 complaints registered.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by greenenvey
I've never had this problem on my 2010 except for once and it was my own fault. You have to put the nozzle in as far as it will go. I've never had a problem again and I fill gas alot.
Put the nozzle in as far as it will go, and it happened to me 2 years ago. Dealership replaced the whole fill tube assy, and problem went away till now. Yes, it's doing it again. Personally, I think it's the vent tube that's causing all this. Just too damn cold out, and too much ice and snow built up on the underside to investigate on my own.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Took at least 7 trips for me. First we replace this little hose. Then we replace another part and so on. Finally there were no more parts except the tank and when that was replaced the problem went away. I too had filed the complaint on this problem. What a pain in the ass to deal with. I suppose it will have to be done again at 80 thousand miles and so on or did they make a design change on the "new" parts?
Old 01-08-2011, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am a member too. Started about a month ago and like others I thought it was me, tried several gas stations, kept happening.
Took it to the dealership and they said they'd replace tank no questions, 41,500ish miles.
Now the problem, they could not find any fuel tanks available anywhere.
"But as soon as we find one, we'll call you, and put the new one in."
Old 01-08-2011, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Theres probably a reason that most of the pumps say "DO NOT TOP OFF" on the handles. .....just sayin.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by smallzphoto
Theres probably a reason that most of the pumps say "DO NOT TOP OFF" on the handles. .....just sayin.
This problem happens WITHOUT topping it off. Mine pukes gas every single time I allow the pump to shut itself off. Its not a topping off problem, its a fuel tank venting problem
Old 01-09-2011, 06:10 AM
JK Freak

Here is a video from mine doing it. No topping off there.....just filling it up normally

http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p154/oopezoo/?action=view&current=IMG_0243.mp4
Old 01-09-2011, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't top off And mine does it. I just stop a gallon or 2 short of full now. When I can I'll drop it at dealer to be fixed
Old 01-09-2011, 02:58 PM
JK Newbie

Mine did it the first time a couple of weeks ago, but it only did it that one time. Hasn't done it since...
Old 01-09-2011, 04:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine did it last week for the first time.I have filled up 3 times since and it does it every time.It doesn't seem to matter what speed the pump is set to,the nozzle clicks off and out comes the gas.

Quick Reply: joined the gas tank spill club