Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

joined the gas tank spill club

Old 01-06-2011, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default joined the gas tank spill club

jk 2dr sahara. build date july 2008. 23k miles. no major problems to date...until!

Bout a month or two ago i noticed that after a fill up it would "burp" a little bit as the rubber seal on the pump was pulled away. Seems a bit inconsistent..but then this week its really started. Was filling up last week and it streamed down the side and ground! A good sized puddle on the ground! Since then every fillup I have to click it as soon as its getting close, and it still sometimes gets a splash!
Old 01-06-2011, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Count me in too. My wife's 08 had the problem and the dealer took care of it - no problem.

My 07 just started doing it about a month ago.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

i got me an '11, and decided to top it off. only topped off about 40cents...leading to spillage.

Irritating.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by evan631
i got me an '11, and decided to top it off. only topped off about 40cents...leading to spillage.

Irritating.
The real bitch is that most of us are having this problem WITHOUT topping it off. Mine pukes gas on the initial pump shutoff every time I fill it......even on the slow notch setting. The only way I can keep it from happening is to fill the last gallon or so manually by backing the pump lever off to a trickle. Anything more than that will burp a big old puddle of fuel everywhere. If it is filled on the fast notch, I'll bet it gushes at least a quart of fuel back out of the filler hole.........all over the pump handle, gas cap, fender, body, bumper, leaves a good 3Ft diameter puddle on the ground, and would soak your pant leg and shoe if you were standing there holding the nozzle.

Anyone having this problem needs to file a complaint with the NHTSA and push Chrysler for a replacement fuel tank. Apparently it is also a well documented problem with the Durango's too.

Last edited by OoPEZoO; 01-07-2011 at 04:29 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've never had this problem on my 2010 except for once and it was my own fault. You have to put the nozzle in as far as it will go. I've never had a problem again and I fill gas alot.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Count me in too. Thanks to the forum, I realized ut was not me. Add up all the spills , wonder how much fuel is wasted.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:14 AM
JK Freak

HUMM...this whole thread kinda sounds like what happens to me too! everytime i fill up.

what can we do to fix this ourselves..the dealer ships up here are kinda shady and will charge for anything..from a tire air fill up to a car wash. im not going to lose 70bucks for nothing if this is a easy fix?

any suggestions?
Old 01-07-2011, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is not really a new thing. There are a lot of threads about it. File a complaint with the NHTSA - the link it is another thread on this subject - and then find a good Jeep dealer.

The dealer down by me is great (the Arrigo in West Palm - not the dealer in Delray). They fixed this problem on my wife's jeep - no questions asked. Seriously, I pulled in and told them about it. They said they would take care of it for free(this was before checking the vin and miles and going back to the computer).

I have pulled up this forum on my phone and asked them questions that we (this forum) were discussing. They have brought me in the back to look at what was being done (to my jeep and others) about things we were discussing. Seriously, I have only had (ultimately) positive experiences with them.

Edit: should have finished reading what you were saying about the dealerships up there... I do not think it is an easy fix - on my wife's they had to remove the fuel tank to get to whatever it is.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by runnin-low
HUMM...this whole thread kinda sounds like what happens to me too! everytime i fill up.

what can we do to fix this ourselves..the dealer ships up here are kinda shady and will charge for anything..from a tire air fill up to a car wash. im not going to lose 70bucks for nothing if this is a easy fix?

any suggestions?
Buy a new gas tank and install it yourself.

Seriously though, that seems to be the only alternative as of right now. What ever vent is getting plugged (or whatever is actually happening) is internal to the gas tank and is not serviceable. It sucks, and its an expensive problem to make go away.........that is if its even going away. It might just be delaying it from happening again in another 20-40k miles. I guess time will tell. I don't recall seeing anyone having a repeat failure yet. I suppose the only way to find out what is really going on would be for someone to disect their own faulty tank and check it all out. I'm sure most of the tanks being replaced are heading back to Chrysler for inspection. Either that, or they already have the problem "fixed" with the new replacement tanks and they are destroying the old tanks as they come in for repair. Until someone with internal knowlege starts talking, I guess we are all stuck in the current situation
Old 01-07-2011, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

All I can say is: Welcome to the club.

I stopped in at the gas station the other day. Forgot that I was filling up from Half a tank (I normally only fill up when it was near empty), Had the pump on full blast and it looked like something that should be featured at the Bellagio.

Quick Reply: joined the gas tank spill club