Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

JKU Sport Suspension Swap

Old 01-27-2015, 10:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JKU Sport Suspension Swap

Ok, I've read as much as I could in regards to springs and shocks and the differences between models. First of all I have some info for the Canadian members out there. Even though the stamp on my front and rear shocks reads (front 68028415AC, rear 68028455AC) these are not the actual part numbers that are used on the moparpartscanada site which is the site your dealer uses. The actual part numbers for the shocks are (front 68047812AD rear 68047812AB). Just thought this might helpful to anyone talking shocks with their local dealership.

I think I'm starting to get a handle on this. I currently have a 2014 JKU sport and like many before me want to swap out my stock shocks because they ride like crap. I had a 2009 Sahara a few years ago and it definitely had a nicer ride. What I want is a smoother ride on road as well as a slight lift. I climbed under the jeep yesterday and see that I have a 17/58 spring set up front/back. From what I understand, that's on the higher end of the spring rating chart so I understand that going to an 18/59 or 19/60 wouldn't make much of a difference in my ride height so I'll probably put a 1.5inch spring spacer for a slight lift just to increase my stance as I only do very little off roading. Currently my height at the centre of the bottom of the front fender is 35.25" and 35.5" at the rear fender. What I want to know is should I be looking for used sahara or rubi shocks. I've read that either is better than what comes with the sport model but which will give the smoother ride? I've also read that sahara and rubi shocks are longer than sport shocks, is this true?
Old 01-27-2015, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

Looks like your goal is a smoother ride, shocks will help with this.

Step 1 - look at getting after market shocks.

Decide if you are going to lift your jeep. This may change which shocks you get.

Jeep makes two types of shocks, RUBI and non-RUBI. You have the same shocks as you did in your 09 Sahara.

Ultimately, decide what you want to do. On and off road, then someone can recommend a shock and or lift kit to suit your needs. Not everyone is ok with a budget boost and shock extensions, and not everyone needs a long arm kit with reservoir shocks. Know what I mean?

I personally, rarely wheel the Jeep but I love the stance of 35's and a small lift. I'm rocking 2.5 budget boost and 35's. Drives pretty close to stock.

Good luck!
Old 01-27-2015, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mr_alex2
Looks like your goal is a smoother ride, shocks will help with this.

Step 1 - look at getting after market shocks.

Decide if you are going to lift your jeep. This may change which shocks you get.

Jeep makes two types of shocks, RUBI and non-RUBI. You have the same shocks as you did in your 09 Sahara.

Ultimately, decide what you want to do. On and off road, then someone can recommend a shock and or lift kit to suit your needs. Not everyone is ok with a budget boost and shock extensions, and not everyone needs a long arm kit with reservoir shocks. Know what I mean?

I personally, rarely wheel the Jeep but I love the stance of 35's and a small lift. I'm rocking 2.5 budget boost and 35's. Drives pretty close to stock.

Good luck!
Are you sure that there are only two types of shocks, Rubi and non-Rubi? I thought that all three were different. If the JKU sport I currently have has the same shocks as the sahara I had a few years ago then why do they feel so different, they were both similarly equipped so the springs should have been very close. Also, I thought I read in another thread that the rubi shocks were firmer than the sahara shocks. I really appreciate any info I get so please don't misinterpret me questioning things as disrespectful, I'm just trying to sort through all the info on here and make my decision based on as many facts as possible.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:59 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Pull up a few threads on the Rancho 9000xl. When you finally talk your self into getting them, wait for the buy 3 get 1 free sale they run every year.

Quick Reply: JKU Sport Suspension Swap