Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

JKU Rubi shocks and springs on a 2dr sport

Old 06-25-2011, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JKU Rubi shocks and springs on a 2dr sport

My search efforts haven't produced much results, although I know I've seen the answer on this forum before...

I'm looking at swapping out my 2dr sport stock suspension with the stock suspension (shocks and springs) from a JKU Rubicon. Anyone know about how much lift this will yield front and rear? Or is there a specific thread you can send me in the direction of?

Tim
Old 06-25-2011, 12:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search for stock spring questions.

Their is a really good thread on this that is quite extensive.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah there is a thread somewhere about stock spring swaps. Basically, no one will be able to tell you what to expect unless you know the numbers on the coils you already have, and the numbers on the coils you plan on putting in. Not all Rubis have the same coils, neither do all X's/Sports. They will differ depending on presence or absence of certain options like towing package, hardtop, 2 drs vs. 4 drs, etc.

Jason
Old 06-25-2011, 12:49 PM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

I think you will be looking at 1/4 inch per difference of the two spring rates after everything settles. Mileage may vary with any and all add-ons (ie bumpers, winches, etc.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My buddy switched from 14/55's to 16/58's from a JKU and netted close to 2" with bumper and winch... Looking at it, you'd swear he had a lift kit...

I went from 17/58 to 18/59 and gained about 1/2" (I have JKU) but it did level out my front end.

As stated, it's very common for a JKU sport to have same coils as a Rubi with tie package (I found out hard way) so make sure you check the numbers. Chrysler has 9 different spring variations, so that's why just "Rubi tow package coils" does not mean much....
Old 06-25-2011, 01:44 PM
JK Junkie

Check out this thread, there is a shit ton of info in regards to your question....
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...rings-Question
Old 06-25-2011, 03:47 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info guys! I will use the search and thread suggestions and figure out if the switch is worth it. I picked up the shocks and springs with a set of new tires mounted to black ops wheels for a steal, so even if the switch isn't worth the effort I'm not out anything

Last edited by tj_2010jk; 06-25-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by tj_2010jk
Thanks for the info guys! I will use the search and thread suggestions and figure out if the switch is worth it. I picked up the shocks and springs with a set of new tires mounted to black ops wheels for a steal, so even if the switch isn't worth the effort I'm not anything
Keep us informed as to how the swap goes; it's been something I've been considering. I'd also be very interested to know the difference in ride & handling with the stiffer springs/shocks on the 2-door.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:49 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Battlefrog
My buddy switched from 14/55's to 16/58's from a JKU and netted close to 2" with bumper and winch... Looking at it, you'd swear he had a lift kit...

I went from 17/58 to 18/59 and gained about 1/2" (I have JKU) but it did level out my front end.

As stated, it's very common for a JKU sport to have same coils as a Rubi with tie package (I found out hard way) so make sure you check the numbers. Chrysler has 9 different spring variations, so that's why just "Rubi tow package coils" does not mean much....
I think I underestimated the complexity of my question... It's quite obvious it's not as simple as I thought, as there are so many different springs used.

A stupid question for you Battlefrog, where are those numbers found on the springs? The part numbers on the tags don't seem to relate to the numbers you mention.

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by tj_2010jk

I think I underestimated the complexity of my question... It's quite obvious it's not as simple as I thought, as there are so many different springs used.

A stupid question for you Battlefrog, where are those numbers found on the springs? The part numbers on the tags don't seem to relate to the numbers you mention.

Thanks!
There should be a green/white or gold/white tag attarched to your coil. You want to focuse on the last 2 #'s.... Sorry for the pic flashlight and iPhone... Haha
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1631516064.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	175354   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1146543653.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	175356  

Quick Reply: JKU Rubi shocks and springs on a 2dr sport