Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

JKU lift, larger tire, and potential issue with typical parking underground??

Old 11-13-2014, 04:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JKU lift, larger tire, and potential issue with typical parking underground??

For the first time yesterday I took my stock JKU to a commercial underground garage to catch a play at a theatre in the city with my wife, typical to the one you'd find in a busy part of the City where they try to cram as many cars in as little area as possible underground. Going down the ramp, I experienced a very weary feeling as my vehicle approached the door and the clearance bar that stated 6'1" max clearance. It seemed as if the roof of my vehicle was about to touch the clearance bar and the low ceiling beams... of course it didn't but it just seemed so very close. I was all up for throwing on a 2" lift along with some 33"/or 35" tires come spring but now I'm not so sure I want to do that given that it may prevent me from entering underground garages in condos, apartments, hotels or pay parking lots underground, etc. Have any of you experienced any issues with parking garages after throwing on a lift and larger tires? I haven't measured everything out yet to see what would be acceptable to do or not but I was hoping to get some feedback from those of you who have already had their JK for a while and done some mods and what restrictions you experience as a result.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U can always air down lool
Old 11-13-2014, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think it depends on the "typical" clearances you'll encounter. 6'-1" is pretty short for a garage. I'm 6'-2" tall, so I'd hit my head just walking in that garage. If that's typical in your area, it'll probably be an issue wth 2.5" and 35's. My experiences in Texas is that 6'-6" or 6'-8" is more typical but that could be Texas. A stock F-250 pickup isn't gonna fit in a 6'-1" garage, but it will in a 6'-8". I have a 3.5" lift and 37" tires, and I park in two different garages every day at work: one is 6"-8", and one is 6'-10". No problem. It is interesting in the 6'-8" garage, but you get used to it. I guess to answer your question, before you get a lift/tires, start to notice the clearance values at garages as you drive around- see if the 6'-1" garage was typical, or an abnormally low one. Don't let it get you down; a 2.5" lift with 35's is a great setup and very common for JKs.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Most garages are 7 to 8ft, I have never had an issue with my jeep, or F250 fitting in a parking garage. If it will fit in your garage at home it should fit in a parking garage.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry, my reply got duplicated and I can't figure out how to delete the duplicate...

Last edited by ntropy; 11-13-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Napalm. You'll need to find a different garage, at least 6ft 4" clearance for a 2.5" lift with 35s.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default garages

I can't park under my building at work... garage is 6' 6"

my Tahoe is 6' 8" and my Jeep is 3" lift on 35s...
Old 11-18-2014, 11:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just don't change your antenna!!

It will hit first and you know to back out.

I have 4.5" of lift and 33s...I need 6'-6" to fit. Fairly easy to find in Texas of course.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:14 AM
JK Newbie

I just got a 2015 jk sport with 17" rims. First time going to a garage I use often was unnerving. I had seen large trucks and other jeeps in there so I knew I could make it. Clearance reads 6'1". When I drove down the ramp I held my hand up out the window and could touch the roof. Close but I fit. I'm 6'1" and am just slightly taller then the jeep and have enough clearance to walk freely.
Just remember the clearance heights are short by a couple inches. If you want to risk it anyways.

Good to know about the antenna though
Old 12-03-2014, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainNapalm
For the first time yesterday I took my stock JKU to a commercial underground garage to catch a play at a theatre in the city with my wife, typical to the one you'd find in a busy part of the City where they try to cram as many cars in as little area as possible underground. Going down the ramp, I experienced a very weary feeling as my vehicle approached the door and the clearance bar that stated 6'1" max clearance. It seemed as if the roof of my vehicle was about to touch the clearance bar and the low ceiling beams... of course it didn't but it just seemed so very close. I was all up for throwing on a 2" lift along with some 33"/or 35" tires come spring but now I'm not so sure I want to do that given that it may prevent me from entering underground garages in condos, apartments, hotels or pay parking lots underground, etc. Have any of you experienced any issues with parking garages after throwing on a lift and larger tires? I haven't measured everything out yet to see what would be acceptable to do or not but I was hoping to get some feedback from those of you who have already had their JK for a while and done some mods and what restrictions you experience as a result.
My 4 ft Firestik CB antenna hits everything... every time it gets a chance!

Quick Reply: JKU lift, larger tire, and potential issue with typical parking underground??