Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Jk wont start

Old 06-17-2015, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jk wont start

08 JK sport won't start. It sounds like it wants to and then it cuts off. Pulled the white fuse can't remember what number it is and it started and now it won't start again. The resister light comes on when I try to start it battery is good. I checked that. Possibly a neutral safety switch?
Old 06-17-2015, 11:43 AM
JK Super Freak

You can try shifting to neutral and if it starts its your neutral safety switch. By the it starting and then shutting off it sounds like it might be something else.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Your N/S can easily be bypassed, but first see if this TSB applies to you:

TSB - No Engine Crank Or No Engine Start Due To Electronic Lockup Of The WCM / SKREEM

March 04th, 2008 | Category: Electrical TSB, Jeep JK TSB & Recalls

NUMBER: 08-007-08
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: March 04, 2008

SUBJECT:
No Engine Crank Or No Engine Start Due To Electronic Lockup Of The WCM / SKREEM

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves the replacement of the Wireless Control Module (WCM). The WCM is
also referred to as the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module (SKREEM).

MODELS:
2007 - 2008 (JK) Wrangler

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before November 30, 2007 (MDH 1130XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience a no engine crank and/or a no engine start condition. Also, the remote keyless entry (RKE) system may not operate. This condition may be due to an electrostatic discharge (ESD) from the ignition key into the Wireless Control Module (WCM), causing the WCM to electronically lockup. This condition may occur more
frequently in dry and/or cold weather conditions where a sufficient electrostatic charge is more easily produced. This condition is corrected by the replacement of the WCM.

Until the WCM is replaced, the WCM may be reset (unlocked) by either: disconnecting and then reconnect the battery negative cable at the battery, or by removing the IOD fuse (with the key out of the ignition switch), waiting 30 seconds, and reinstall the IOD fuse.

TSB 08-007-08
Old 06-17-2015, 01:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I guess I forgot to mention winch off-road lights radio windows and locks all work fine
Old 06-17-2015, 01:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just tried and it does start in neutral. I did this a few times. So does that mean it's a Safety switch issue
Old 06-17-2015, 04:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Darb24
I just tried and it does start in neutral. I did this a few times. So does that mean it's a Safety switch issue
Most likely your TRS (transmission range sensor) is bad, it's on top of the valve body and runs $350-500 to replace.

We use to make an external TRS that got it out of the hot transmission fluid but we discontinued it.

I can post a TRS bypass we use for our expidition customers that can't have a failure in the middle of nowhere.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to see that bypass!
Old 06-17-2015, 08:40 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Below is a picture of what I did to bypass the TRS if I should get the click-no-start issue.

A gentle pull on the floss will close the starter relay contacts and force the starter to turn over no matter what is going on with any of the safety cutout features, even if the key is out of the ignition switch.
The engine will start only if the key is in the switch, and in the RUN/START position.

I tested it under the following conditions.
1. Key out, transmission in PARK: engine turned over; engine did not start.
2. Key in RUN/START position, transmission in DRIVE: engine turned over; engine started.

I've never had the click-no-start issue, so I can only assume this bypass will result in an engine start should it happen to my JK. This isn't a permanent fix for the issue, but it should get me going if it happens at an inopportune time.

Last edited by ronjenx; 06-18-2015 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Memory ain't what it used to be!
Old 06-18-2015, 05:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Below is a picture of what I did to bypass the TRS if I should get the click-no-start issue.

A gentle pull on the floss will close the starter relay contacts and force the starter to turn over no matter what is going on with any of the safety cutout features, even if the key is out of the ignition switch.
The engine will start only if the key is in the switch, and in the RUN position.

I tested it under the following conditions.
1. Key out, transmission in PARK: engine turned over; engine did not start.
2. Key in RUN position, transmission in PARK: engine turned over; engine started.
3. Key in RUN position, transmission in DRIVE: engine turned over; engine started.

I've never had the click-no-start issue, so I can only assume this bypass will result in an engine start should it happen to my JK. This isn't a permanent fix for the issue, but it should get me going if it happens at an inopportune time.

can someone post a pic or a description of where this relay is? I'd use the floss trick if I knew which relay was causing the issue!
Old 06-18-2015, 07:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mainejeeper
can someone post a pic or a description of where this relay is? I'd use the floss trick if I knew which relay was causing the issue!
Also interested in seeing exactly where this is found to be aware of this option.

Quick Reply: Jk wont start