Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

jk unlimited hard top clicking noise issue

Old 12-15-2010, 07:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jk unlimited hard top clicking noise issue

i've got a clicking sound top left hand corner between the roll bar and left hand side of the left panel, where the white plastic piece from the panel fits into the roll bar hole. i've taken it off and on multiple times, changed the order of how i screwed it down and it clicks everytime i go over a bump in the road, driving me nuts! any help?

is there an order of which clamp to start with, or do you insert and screw down first and then clamp and then do the one at the front last behind the visor, or is it some other order?

Last edited by Gilmourbj; 12-15-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:59 PM
JK Newbie

Default ????

Is it the claps?
Old 12-15-2010, 08:00 PM
JK Newbie

Default lolo

cant spell, is it the clamps
Old 12-15-2010, 08:01 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gilmourbj
i've got a clicking sound top left hand corner between the roll bar and left hand side of the left panel, where the white plastic piece from the panel fits into the roll bar hole. i've taken it off and on multiple times, changed the order of how i screwed it down and it clicks everytime i go over a bump in the road, driving me nuts! any help?
Check to see if you still have some black rubber stickies are still on the panels. See the thread below:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...dom+panel+bump

I know mine still had the stickies and I added some white lithium grease to the back portion of the panels and this helped with the clicks and cracking over bumps.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noises in the hard top can be hard to track down. Even though it sounds like the noise might be coming from one area it could be coming from another because of the way these tops carry or transmit sound. I'm going to throw this one out there because the noise you describe sounds similar. Try this and see if it helps....

Note - Others have used other materials in place of the nylon with good results.

Edit - Removed link (same as above), TripleJeep beat me to it...

Last edited by TheQuiet1; 12-15-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:14 PM
JK Newbie

Default picture # 3 shows where i'm having the noise, i'll check that see if its missing

pic # 3 from this link shows exactly where i'm having the noise, i'll check that to see if its missing, lets hope so.

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
Check to see if you still have some black rubber stickies are still on the panels. See the thread below:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...dom+panel+bump

I know mine still had the stickies and I added some white lithium grease to the back portion of the panels and this helped with the clicks and cracking over bumps.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had a very similar sound which was driving me nuts because Jeep is brand new. However, i screwed down the panel a bit tighter and noise is gone.

Maybe try that?

Last edited by evan631; 12-16-2010 at 05:47 PM.

Quick Reply: jk unlimited hard top clicking noise issue