Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

JK stalling without codes

Old 08-21-2022, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Hdivr
Yep.... after replacing the fuel pump, I went to the nearest station and got 5 gallons - enough to run back and completely fill the tank. It stalled out 3 times within the first 10 miles or so. What's funny is that for the past 2 days, I've taken it on short trips (20 mins) or so at a time and it hasn't stalled. Could it be that the stalling was air in the lines that needed to work its way out? I've got an appt at the local jeep dealer for diagnosis in 3 days - but with no codes, I'm not sure what they can sort out unless they have the tech to actually tell me if the WCM or the TIPM is going out.

I've looked at live data through both OB2 scanners - Bluedriver and Car Scanner pro - and see nothing with sensors or cats that jump out. And since I haven't been able to live data a stall, I'm kind of stuck. Wouldn't a bad camshaft positioning sensor throw a code?
I would go top off your tank with 93 octane and see if it stops. I had a similar issue with another vehicle last week. It kept dying and wouldn't idle. I had just filled up the day before. I finally got it running enough to get to the gas station and was able to get 6 gallons of premium in it. It started right up and ran and idled fine afterwards. Not saying you don't have something else going on but definitely try this first. Bad gas is a bigger problem than people realize. I spoke with a mechanic friend if mine the other day and he said he was getting a lot of calls about similar issues and this is what he recommended they do as well. He said some companies are putting too much ethanol in the gasoline.
Old 08-21-2022, 11:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My problem is there are no codes and Jeep seems to be running fine. All of a sudden it sputters and dies. I can be driving down the highway and engine starts to shudder and just dies. Put it in neutral while coasting and it will fire up in a few seconds. Something is shutting off power to the Fuel pump. When idling in the driveway, it was running perfect and just stalled out after a few moments of hesitation like it was starving for fuel.
It can happen when engine is cold and driving less than 100 feet or when engine has been running for 30 minutes on the highway.

There was one time when the starter motor kept spinning for the 10 second time out interval and then stopped. Next attempt, Jeep started instantly and idled perfectly with no miss.

Hopefully, the Jeep tech will know what the hack is going on. Can the Wireless Control Module (if it's failing), shut down the vehicle in mid drive?
Old 08-21-2022, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Hdivr
My problem is there are no codes and Jeep seems to be running fine. All of a sudden it sputters and dies. I can be driving down the highway and engine starts to shudder and just dies. Put it in neutral while coasting and it will fire up in a few seconds. Something is shutting off power to the Fuel pump. When idling in the driveway, it was running perfect and just stalled out after a few moments of hesitation like it was starving for fuel.
It can happen when engine is cold and driving less than 100 feet or when engine has been running for 30 minutes on the highway.

There was one time when the starter motor kept spinning for the 10 second time out interval and then stopped. Next attempt, Jeep started instantly and idled perfectly with no miss.

Hopefully, the Jeep tech will know what the hack is going on. Can the Wireless Control Module (if it's failing), shut down the vehicle in mid drive?
It could also be a bad fuel pump. I had a brand new one fail not long after installing it. Swapped it out on everything was good.
Old 08-24-2022, 04:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

This story makes me wonder… I have an 09 wrangler manual. When completely warmed up and on hotter days it will idle very low at stop lights etc. I mean like 500 rpm or a bit less. It doesn’t stall but I could imagine if it was an automatic it might. I have no codes or cel. when not hot or completely warmed up it idles as normal.
Old 08-24-2022, 04:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you examine your coil? Just changed mine this spring had a hairline crack. Mine never stalled though.
Old 08-24-2022, 02:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just heard back from Dealer. After 3 hours of diagnostic time, it turned out to be a broken wire somewhere in the harness near a connector. At times it would run great and other times the break would become more apparent and shut off power.

Old 08-25-2022, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 479 Likes on 430 Posts

What I say about the wiring as it ages. Anyone with an older Jeep needs to review the harnesses, weak points and stress on the wires at plugs. Check for looseness, harnesses too close to steel, I use heater hose slit lengthways to wrap around harnesses to protect near where I think it mght rub through. You don't want any harnesses or wires flopping around anywhere.

Quick Reply: JK stalling without codes