Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

JK stalling without codes

Old 08-17-2022, 03:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default JK stalling without codes

JK Stalling without codes I have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler automatic that will stall at stoplights and even while driving it stutters and then stops. No check engine lights or permanent code stored. I have replaced the fuel pump with a new Delphi unit and also replace the crankshaft positioning sensor and cleaned all the grounds that I could find but still no fix. It starts up fine but within a couple of minutes it will stutter and then completely die it then can immediately restart back up

The only issue that it could be is I have a pending code for an invalid key but that has been on for months. Is it time to take it to a dealer? It is sporadic it can happen within the first minute of driving and then not happen again for 10 minutes. It doesn’t matter if you’re going uphill downhill on flat land etc. the dash doesn’t blink or lose power all lights and accessories are fully illuminated.
Old 08-17-2022, 04:07 PM
JK Newbie

Forgot to add I had the battery checked at our local O’Reilly’s auto parts store under load battery checked out fine there are no bad cells
Old 08-18-2022, 05:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds just like my 2007, although not stalling but getting there. I'm not getting codes either but not passing emission test, check O2 sensor readings, that's my next "fix". I'm also getting poor MPG
Old 08-18-2022, 05:52 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info I will check there next
Old 08-18-2022, 05:57 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,699 Posts

regarding that pending code for the key, if you clear that and use a different key does the code come back? Wondering if the key your using is failing and possibly at times the security features pick up a blip and kill the system which leads to the stalling. I know that is a long shot since you can simply start it right back up, but considering the WCM comes into play and you have have that code, it's something to think about.
Old 08-18-2022, 07:19 AM
RwH
JK Newbie

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I would advise to go to a reputable shop that can diagnose via data logging. They should be able to see what is happening at the moment it is stalling and make quick work of it or atleast get you the information to fix yourself. The dealerships well, youve heard the stories Im sure. Can they fix it? maybe. Will it be expensive if they do? absolutely. I would guess an O2 sensor problem as well but that usually pops a code.
Old 08-18-2022, 07:28 AM
JK Newbie

I have used both keys and the vehicle will stall no matter which one I have in the ignition that is what is leading me to believe it is skreem
issue
The following users liked this post:
GrumpyFinn (08-18-2022)
Old 08-18-2022, 07:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, mine has a family of Dodo birds living in my fuel system
Old 08-19-2022, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Have you ruled out bad gasoline?
Old 08-20-2022, 06:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Have you ruled out bad gasoline?

Yep.... after replacing the fuel pump, I went to the nearest station and got 5 gallons - enough to run back and completely fill the tank. It stalled out 3 times within the first 10 miles or so. What's funny is that for the past 2 days, I've taken it on short trips (20 mins) or so at a time and it hasn't stalled. Could it be that the stalling was air in the lines that needed to work its way out? I've got an appt at the local jeep dealer for diagnosis in 3 days - but with no codes, I'm not sure what they can sort out unless they have the tech to actually tell me if the WCM or the TIPM is going out.

I've looked at live data through both OB2 scanners - Bluedriver and Car Scanner pro - and see nothing with sensors or cats that jump out. And since I haven't been able to live data a stall, I'm kind of stuck. Wouldn't a bad camshaft positioning sensor throw a code?

Quick Reply: JK stalling without codes