Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

jk shakes and shivers at a stop??? help

Old 05-20-2010, 07:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am basically stock and noticed this when I first got the jeep. I changed the plugs to NGK's and started running midgrade quality gas and in 5k miles it has not returned. Not sure which one did it, but its only 3 extra bucks a fillup and my hesitation is gone as well.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:48 AM
JK Freak

Its the corn in your gas (ethanol) 10% . That junx sucks. I first noticed how bad it was on my CBR900rr... the motor hated the new gas at the pumps. My auto Jk does it now too. I have noticed it does it less with Shell gasoline.

Sadly the ethonal is gonna stay around and I'm pretty sure Gas companies spend some time trying to thin out their product as much as possible before being noticed. "wouldn't you if you owned a trillion dollar company and where greedy as hell?"

Old 05-20-2010, 08:05 AM
JK Freak

could it be just a crappy air filter or gunk in my gas filter from running it low at times? it onlty has 9000 miles on it
Old 05-20-2010, 08:27 AM
JK Newbie

I took my stock JK to the Palo Duro Jeep Jamboree last week (awesome trip btw). On the drive out of the canyon, I noticed the same problem. It feels like the engine is running a little rough, causing a slight shake. This normally happens at red lights, or sometimes when I'm in PARK. It goes away, or at least I no longer feel it, once I start moving again. Did any of you who have them problem notice it after playing in the dirt?

I'll spend this weekend trying to get all of the mud out of the engine compartment and off the underside. Maybe I've just got crap built up where it shouldn't be. I'll check the air filter and plugs too. I'm sure it's not a bad tank of gas, since I had to fill up multiple times on the way home during the 900 mile drive back to the house.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:51 AM
JK Freak

My symptoms: rough idle when at a stop and tranny in Drive, make the JK shake.
When: usually when the engine is warming up, once it reach it operating temperature, it less noticeable.
vehicle: most car and truck I owned including the JK.
Mechanics answer: when I talk about this to my mechanic he just told me it normal wear don't even bother getting this fix.
work arround: I did fix this on some of my car / truck in the pass by increasing the idle rpm a little 100 to 300 rpm no really recomanded

to me it a rough idle, fixing this can go from clogged air filter to bad engine mount, so I live with it.

Last edited by Pape; 05-20-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:15 AM
JK Freak

could it be just a crappy air filter or gunk in my gas filter from running it low at times? it onlty has 9000 miles on it
The JK uses a sealed unit fuel strainer inline with the fuel pump inside the gas tank, so no "fuel filter" to replace.

Sure the airfilter being perfectly clean will smooth out an idle but at 9,000 miles you intake and throttle body should only be lightly coated with residue.

Its gas man gas
Old 05-20-2010, 09:37 AM
JK Freak

yea, i bought some of that "sea foam" for your gasoline, see if that helps any
Old 05-20-2010, 09:48 AM
JK Freak

Seafoam is great for jetski's and watercraft (i suppose a jeep doing water crossings is pretty much a watercraft at that point). the seafoam removes water in the gas well.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:03 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Holdem2
Seafoam is great for jetski's and watercraft (i suppose a jeep doing water crossings is pretty much a watercraft at that point). the seafoam removes water in the gas well.
Seafoam has a lot of uses and getting water out of the gas is but one of them.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:05 AM
JK Newbie

Unhappy

Originally Posted by thehoffman
i took my stock jk to the palo duro jeep jamboree last week (awesome trip btw). On the drive out of the canyon, i noticed the same problem. It feels like the engine is running a little rough, causing a slight shake. This normally happens at red lights, or sometimes when i'm in park. It goes away, or at least i no longer feel it, once i start moving again. Did any of you who have them problem notice it after playing in the dirt?

I'll spend this weekend trying to get all of the mud out of the engine compartment and off the underside. Maybe i've just got crap built up where it shouldn't be. I'll check the air filter and plugs too. I'm sure it's not a bad tank of gas, since i had to fill up multiple times on the way home during the 900 mile drive back to the house.
i havent been out in the dirt much or anything like that and i dont run the ethanol gas same gas ive always used it shakes in park in drive at a stop and in reverse stopped and moving moving forward no problems i have cleaned and reoiled my gauze type oiled filter (not to advertise) and no change i my look into the throttle body to see if it is caused there but idk

Quick Reply: jk shakes and shivers at a stop??? help