Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

JK has really WEAK air conditioning?

Old 05-19-2008, 03:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK has really WEAK air conditioning?

I usually avoid the stock JK Tech section of the forum because....well frankly... it scares the bejeeses out of me everytime I come in here.... problems this problem that..death wobble...broken...Jeep stalls and crashes...

....but I have to ask since it is getting hotter... I noticed that the air conditioning is REALLY WEAK... does anyone else have experience with this as well?

... I know I know... "old school jeeps didnt have AC...take your doors off and be done with it!"

.... I'm not worthy....
Old 05-19-2008, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine works really well. if you radiator is clean take it to a dealer and have it checked. It shouldn't be "Weak"
Old 05-19-2008, 04:03 PM
JK Freak

Sucks for me too. I have to have it on high to cool the car down really at all. I figured it was because of the lack of insulation in the roof and that makes it more difficult to cool down.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chrysler in their cost cutting mode, mated the trans cooler with the AC condenser, People with any knowledge of heat dissipation will know that heat migrates upwards, compromising the AC condenser on heat dissipation, making the AC less efficient.

This heat problem can be eliminated buy installing a trans cooler, but Chrysler in their cost cutting mode could deny warranty work.

107 today
Old 05-19-2008, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep..........................take your doors off.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

I live in Florida and am actually impressed with how much cold air the AC unit puts out, but of course with the badly (like none) insulated top I find the overall performance is adequate (but not by much) even on the hottest days.
FWIW you might want to make sure you are recirculating your air when it's really hot and also, don't run your fan on high if you are not recirculating. I have found when I run the fan on high on a really hot day it will bring in more hot air than the AC can cool if I am not recirculating.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:04 PM
JK Junkie

It was 85-90 the last few days and my AC was almost too cold. After the JK cooled down inside, I ran the fan on lo. Take it to the dealer.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:11 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine works great and I'm in Georgia where we have heat AND humidity.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:40 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by magnumbob
I live in Florida and am actually impressed with how much cold air the AC unit puts out, but of course with the badly (like none) insulated top I find the overall performance is adequate (but not by much) even on the hottest days.
FWIW you might want to make sure you are recirculating your air when it's really hot and also, don't run your fan on high if you are not recirculating. I have found when I run the fan on high on a really hot day it will bring in more hot air than the AC can cool if I am not recirculating.
x3 .. I also live in Florida and it has been in the 90's. No problem at all. The last time I had that kind of problem I realized the AC switch wasn't on! LOL

Off to the dealer and let them fix it up.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kntr
It was 85-90 the last few days and my AC was almost too cold. After the JK cooled down inside, I ran the fan on lo. Take it to the dealer.
You have a manual or automatic?

Quick Reply: JK has really WEAK air conditioning?