Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Jk 101!

Old 11-11-2012, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first from the left is the sway bar disconnect - use it at low speeds in 4WD for better articulation.
The next button (left to right) is the axle locker - 4L only without Superchips. Use it to familiarize yourself with it, but you won't need it unless you're in a really hairy situation.
Next is your hazard lights... self-explanatory.
Finally there's the ESP off button - I use it in the sand a lot push it for semi-off thus allowing wheel slip, hold it down for temporary off (ESPOFF will display in your instrument gauge), and in 4L ESP turns itself off automatically (ESPOFF will show up).
Not to be a jacka$$, but you should google your owner's manual and read through it to ensure you're doing everything by the book. Good luck and get out there and enjoy those buttons.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slidnby
While were talking buttons I have a button not anywhere in the owners manual. It's the hill decent control button. I have pushed it and it does nothing why is it there what is it suppose to do and when should it b pushed? As previously stated not in the owners manual
It's used for speed controlled downhill descents in 4lo. Press it in four low, shift to a specific gear, then head down hill. Jeep will maintain set speed specific to that gear, I.e. 1st will be about 1 MPH
Old 11-11-2012, 09:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

so you paid extra for a rubicon but don't have any idea what the buttons are for.........
Old 11-11-2012, 10:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

My X doesn't have those buttons want to trade?
Old 11-12-2012, 11:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKosmos
The blank button is definitely NOT the driver eject button. So feel free to push it at any time. Or have your passenger push it for you.

I repeat....it is NOT the eject button. Trust me. Really.
Bwaahaahahahaha,,,,, ( Breath!!! ) Hahahahah!!!

I Like it Here!

To Criehard 12'

I have to say,

I admire some one who knows what they want, and most likely a friend or at the Dealer some one said " Hey, if your going to get a jk unlimited, the "Rubicon" is one you'll want" there pretty neat right out of the box. and you bought one. Welcome to the Club my friend! ( there pretty neat arent they ; )

My hope is that you will post back and let us know what the rest of us "JKUR" owners felt when we first learned and understood what those buttons do on and Especially off road, and that feeling for me was " yeah,,, thats pretty neat! I LIKE it!!!"

Yeah some guy just have no sence of humor, but you will find LOT'S of good info and friends here.

The "blank one"? ,,, eject button ,,,,?!

Now thats just funny!

By the way,, I had my "JKUR" for over a year and still found things inside and outside in one of those " Oh no Sh_t?!" moments.

After all, what's the wost some one will do? type you harsh language?! Oh my!

And ALWAYS rember, YOU drive a "JKUR" and if anyone really give you alot of grief,,,
You can park "ON THEM!,,, using those silly little buttons

Last edited by zanyzonies; 11-12-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not sure why you are being crucified for asking a question on a forum built on asking questions, but regardless, heres something that may help.

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Cool Obstacle Course (Camp Jeep) - YouTube
Old 11-12-2012, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

X2 every one be nice, we were all newbies once.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In defense of new Jeep owners who haven't had any exposure to Jeeps by friends, etc.

Yes you should read the Owner's Manual when you buy a new vehicle, especially a specialized vehicle like a Jeep.
But
The Owners Manual is on a CD and, to be very charitable, it sucks. I'm a computer jockey, making my living supporting computers and training users. I can tell a good user manual from a poor one. The CD manual that came with my 2010 JK is awful! Half the video links don't work, the information is presented in a disorganized manner and it is full of needless verbiage that makes it harder to search out the info you really need. It is terrible.

And what's worse, even if it were a well done manual, you can't carry it out to the Jeep to read, play and learn. The worldwide trend toward saving money on manuals by putting them on disc or on line instead of a printed book is just plain bad. I have sifted through the pages and pages of rubbish on my User Manual CD, printed out the info that I really need and keep it in the Jeep. The fuse guide alone is critical. Also lamp replacement and instructions for manipulating ESP.

I feel sorry for the newbie Jeep owner who doesn't know anything about diff lockers, BLD, 4Lo, Hill Start Assist, Hill Descent and many other features of the JK. And some features are not explained at all, like 1st gear 4Lo going up hills with your foot OFF the skinny pedal. The computer makes the engine torque right up some extremely steep hills. There should be a Newbie Guide delivered with every JK that explains, in simple English, the basics of Off-Road use and the features to use.

End of Rant.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 08 jku x has the buttons haha
Old 11-14-2012, 02:37 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 10frank9

Wish I had the axle lock and sway bar button on my rig.....
My buttons are WAY more fun

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3035234409.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	388658

Quick Reply: Jk 101!