Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Jk 08 AC and electrical question

Old 07-15-2022, 08:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Jk 08 AC and electrical question

After 14 years, my AC has finally stopped working. My regular garage replace the freon, and say it's not working due to some other problem. It seems they want to poke and prod electrical parts. My question is does an 08 have the ability to show codes that might cause this problem? I don't seem to get a direct answer from the garage.

my control unit has lights and seems to be working..
Old 07-17-2022, 05:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by webhannet
After 14 years, my AC has finally stopped working. My regular garage replace the freon, and say it's not working due to some other problem. It seems they want to poke and prod electrical parts. My question is does an 08 have the ability to show codes that might cause this problem? I don't seem to get a direct answer from the garage.

my control unit has lights and seems to be working..
when you push the a/c button does your clutch engage?
Old 07-17-2022, 02:44 PM
JK Newbie

My AC and recirculate lights light up oh, but there's no other action that all. I've had the freon changed, as it's currently a full charge. My garage man didn't seem confident in his description of what the mechanic would have to do to troubleshoot this problem I wonder if there are any codes related to the AC? I need to check any fuses too. Any help would be appreciated
Old 07-17-2022, 08:12 PM
JK Newbie

My AC and recirculate lights light up oh, but there's no other action that all. I've had the freon changed, as it's currently a full charge. My garage man didn't seem confident in his description of what the mechanic would have to do to troubleshoot this problem I wonder if there are any codes related to the AC? I need to check any fuses too. Any help would be appreciated
my Jeep which is a 08 had something similar happen. Turn on the fan and push the a/c button which would light up but no cold air. When I checked the a/c clutch it wasn’t engaging. Turned out that there is a ground connection on the right side of the engine. Located just behind the exhaust manifold. It’s a ground for various things including the a/c. The wiring was corroded and wires were broken loose. Awkward to get at but when it was repaired my a/c worked again. There is a two wire plug that connects to the a/c clutch. I spliced a temporary ground wire to the a/c ground wire and it worked. I then later on found out about the ground connection by the manifold and got that fixed.
Old 07-18-2022, 04:07 AM
Former Member

Received 142 Likes on 140 Posts

I don't think you can fill the system if it isn't running. You may want to take it to a different garage for a 2nd opinion.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:39 AM
JK Newbie

I printed out the advice from Star Warsbio , and gave it to the garage by next visit. Very little time, there was tbeJEEPcompleted with the AC working. Of course, the garage didn't thank me for bringing that information in, but it clearly what's the issue. They didn't buys me that if I had problems with my O2 sensor, it runs through the same ground. Thank you so much!
Old 08-18-2022, 08:57 AM
JK Newbie

Default Grounds

I printed out the advice from Star Warsbio , and gave it to the garage by next visit. Very little time, there was tbeJEEPcompleted with the AC working. Of course, the garage didn't thank me for bringing that information in, but it clearly what's the issue. They didn't buys me that if I had problems with my O2 sensor, it runs through the same ground. Thank you so much!
That’s awesome. So glad to help. That ground behind the manifold has 5 or so wires which inc the O2 sensors. Fix the ground and any present or possible future sensor issues are gone.
Thanks for the update. Have a great day👍

Quick Reply: Jk 08 AC and electrical question