Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

jJust failed an oil consumption test - dealer said in spec - any suggestions

Old 12-29-2011, 10:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jJust failed an oil consumption test - dealer said in spec - any suggestions

So for the last 3.5 months ive been on an oil consumption test - 1 qt of oil had to be added at 800 miles the first go around
1 qt at 820 and finally when i went in yesterday just a hair over 1 qt at 889 miles.
This per chrysler is out of spec " normal oil consumption for vehicles under 50,000 miles is 1 qt per 1000 miles driven" obviously 8-900 miles is not 1000 and the jeep has faild - no matter how i showed the math at the dealer ,including a drawing (i thought maybe they could figure out pictures better), they still said it was in spec and kicked me to the curb.

Just looking for any suggestions as its a pretty cut and dry fail and i know some of you guys on here have gotten new motors on failed consumption tests. ( this was all started within warranty coverage time frame)

Thanks guys

- 08 rubi unlim stock drivetrain
Old 12-29-2011, 11:11 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Take it to the next higher level. Keep going higher until someone agrees with spec.

Or, go to a different dealer with the documentation.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:29 AM
JK Newbie

you have a problem, 1qt per 1000 miles is an industry standard but still more than I would ever care to see. It is a stop gap to help warranty costs. If you where out of warranty I would bet that would not be ok. I hate the auto industry sometimes. (been in it for 20 years)
Old 12-31-2011, 05:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

There was a guy on here that fixed the oil problem. I think he used 5w40... I think or something
Old 12-31-2011, 06:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Take in a piece of paper that says they refuse to warranty a problem that is out of spec, state whats allowed and what is happening and then ask them to sign. If they ask why, just tell them its for "legal" reasons. See if they change their tune then.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by danmojo82
Take in a piece of paper that says they refuse to warranty a problem that is out of spec, state whats allowed and what is happening and then ask them to sign. If they ask why, just tell them its for "legal" reasons. See if they change their tune then.
DO IT
Old 12-31-2011, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

All they will do is say, "No." Why would they sign something like that if they didn't have to?
Old 12-31-2011, 10:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hayden911
All they will do is say, "No." Why would they sign something like that if they didn't have to?
True, but, since they are telling him the rate of consumption is within spec, he should be asking for it in writing. Maybe not in the suggested manner but they must have put something down in writing telling OP that he "didn't fail" the consumption test. Or at least something in writing stating the results of the test.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jiblet
True, but, since they are telling him the rate of consumption is within spec, he should be asking for it in writing. Maybe not in the suggested manner but they must have put something down in writing telling OP that he "didn't fail" the consumption test. Or at least something in writing stating the results of the test.
That should be part of the service order. Make sure the ticket states the oil consumption, date. They will have to give the service order back as a receipt with all that documented.

Contact Chrysler Customer Service by email or letter with the details.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

So, Chrysler thinks that a quart of oil every thousand miles is normal?
Is Sergio Marchionne still the CEO? If so I have is right hand mans email address, and he also answers to C.Robert Kidder, chairman of the board.

Quick Reply: jJust failed an oil consumption test - dealer said in spec - any suggestions