Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Jeeps pulls to the right on the highway...

Old 03-03-2010, 04:30 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan L
Yes, I have to hold the steering wheel 10-15 degrees to the left at all times to maintain lane position. Once I let go, the wheel straightens itself and the vehicle starts migrating to the right. I will have the toe checked this weekend and report back.
Are you saying that you have to hold the wheel off center to go straight? If that's the case, then the wheel being off center might BE your pull. Let me explain. Recirculating ball type gear boxes (like on the Jeep) have a habit of "hunting" for center while the pump is energized. If the wheel is slightly off center, this can actually account for a pull or drift in the opposite direction of the crooked wheel. I would get an alignment and go from there.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I have to hold it off center to go straight.

You bring up a good point and I was not aware that the Jeep steering system is designed that way. Would you recommend straightening the wheel first and see if that fixes it? I thought about doing it previously, but I figured it could complicate the alignment if the toe was the real problem.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like the previous guy said I too have used little differences in air pressure to change the pull in one direction of the other. It doesn't take much to make a difference.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Are you saying that you have to hold the wheel off center to go straight? If that's the case, then the wheel being off center might BE your pull. Let me explain. Recirculating ball type gear boxes (like on the Jeep) have a habit of "hunting" for center while the pump is energized. If the wheel is slightly off center, this can actually account for a pull or drift in the opposite direction of the crooked wheel. I would get an alignment and go from there.
I'm glad you said this. Mine is doing the same thing...Pulling to passenger side. Have to hold the wheel to the left 15 degrees or so to go straight. Doesnt really change on different roads. Would I just need to do a better job centering the steering wheel?
Old 03-05-2010, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I straightened my wheel and it seems to have helped, but maybe I just want to believe it did. I still plan on getting the 'stock' alignment checked this weekend.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:55 PM
JK Newbie

Check the toe settings and check the "C" on both sides of your axle and insure neither is bent. A slight bend will cause an unwanted camber on the affected wheel.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

10 mins of work and $90 later... the front left toe was adjusted to spec...

Out of spec, straight from the factory. Thanks Chrysler!
Old 03-06-2010, 12:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Why didnt you take it to the dealer, alignment will be done in the first 12 months or 12,000 miles. A small bb or pucks would not have messed up the toe in.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was afraid they would give me a hard time because of the spacers, not to mention being an hour away. Maybe I should've at least called the dealer first. Ugh.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you are feeling is the crown in the road. Mine does the same thing. I have 37k on my mud terrains and have no wear issues that indicate bad alignment. I wouldn't worry about it.

Quick Reply: Jeeps pulls to the right on the highway...