Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Are Jeep's made from crap?

Old 03-04-2009, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

30K on my 6 speed X, been over a year and thankfuly I'v never had a single issue other then the TPMS light come on when it was -30 centigrate outside (which tuned off once I hit the hyway).
I also beat the hell out of my Jeep .
So geuss we can say their not all made from crap.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

24,990 miles, 13 months old- 1 repair - a bad radiator cap. Absolutely NO issues other than the cap being on the edge of wetness...
Old 03-04-2009, 04:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my jk jeeps is hella cool too... except when it doesnt ever start every sunday leaving me stranded in the mountains.
my tj never did that.
never had to worry about the fancy electronics with axel swaps.
other then that my jk is cool
Old 03-04-2009, 04:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bendista jeeper
I am starting to regret my purchase. I bought a 2008 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited in October. I have 3400 miles on it. I drive it to work (1.5 miles) when the weather is too bad for my bike or scooter. The rest of the time I drive around on forest service roads, fire roads, and some trails. I plan to use the jeep for travel and towing my motorcycles to races this spring and summer. A wrangler seemed like the only worthy replacement for my Land Rover Discovery. The stock Jeep Rubicon is also as capable off road as my lifted and armored Rover.
I like the Jeep, but I am not sure how much. I really cant think of another vehicle I want, but I shouldn't have to put up with some of this crap in a 30,000 dollar truck.

First, the speedo sometimes sticks at 40 when driving on slick sufaces, dealer can't find the problem.

Second, It pops out of 1rst and won't go back into gear until the revs come back down, this problem should be first but I am listing in order of occurance not importance.

Third, Interior completly covered in frost, even the gun in the glove box.

Fourth, TPMS set to 40 PSI, had to fight dealer them to even see if they could do it. Then they wanted to charge me 97 dollars to do it. I told them to ask their general manager if he thinks he should pay when he needs a little adjustment on the Ducati he bought from my shop (dealer set up charges should include adjustments for the first 30 days, it is only good service)

Fifth, Still pops out of gear, and wont go back in until the revs go down, witch I think takes way too long.

Sixth, poped out of gear in 4 low, locked rear, starting to slide sideways on a steep snow covered two track road. I almost didn't save it.

7th, clunks into gears, sounds like my rover did when the transfer case output shaft bearing was going bad. Lots of clunk when trying to shift in 4x4 high or low.

8th, almost impossable to shift into 4wd sometimes. It was stiff at first and I would think that would be normal since it was new. A few truck I have had probably were never used in 4wd and they were all tight until I had used it for a while. But this has gotten worse and I use 4 high several times a week, and 4 low at least once a week, many times in and out of 4wd all day long. It is to the point that I avaid using 4wd unless I really really need to. That usually means going fast and harder in 2wd, not always the best choice.

9th, For 13.4 MPG I would expect a little more power. My buddies SRT8 Grand Cherokee gets 18 in town and 23 hwy. I get 13 and 19? WTF

Every time I go to the dealer they ask if I changed the tires and lifted it. I say no, it is a rubicon, they come with those tires.

I really do not know what I would replace the JK with. I thought I would buy it, pay it off in a couple years (I had a huge down) and own it forever.
I bought a new Jeep because I intend to keep it forever, I am not sure this one can live up to that task.
Is Jeep made of crap? No but your Buddy is full of it. 18-23 from an SRT8 Are you kidding me. SRT8 has no MDS and a 6.1L, my 5.7 WK with MDS gets 14.5-17.5? JK gets 18 . With that being said. I wish it had more power, but your MPG reason is not a good one.

Looks like you have a bit of buyers remorse. You only remember the good memories. I recall my TJ being a blast with a manual trans. Now I have an auto. It's hard to remember all those traffic jams that sucked.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bendista jeeper
My buddies SRT8 Grand Cherokee gets 18 in town and 23 hwy. I get 13 and 19? WTF
No it doesn't.

I've driven a lot of SRT8 WK's, even had a demo for a while, and they don't get anywhere near that. I got 15 mpg on mainly hwy driving if a babied it.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
I know this is a common thought....but I own an '07 and can happily tell you I have ZERO complaints with my Jeep, love it and wouldn't trade it for a thing
I agree... I bought an 07 and I've only had a couple of problems all of which were fixed under warranty. I even managed to cure the leaky top and now my Jeep stays dry in the rain. Wouldn't trade it for the world.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 4x4jkx
I even managed to cure the leaky top and now my Jeep stays dry in the rain. Wouldn't trade it for the world.
how lol... I get a wet left leg while driving. WHAT A PEICE OF SH!T
Old 03-04-2009, 05:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Mine has never leaked a drop. Not even in tropical storm downpours, while pressure washing it, or in high pressure car washes.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Atl JK
Mine has never leaked a drop. Not even in tropical storm downpours, while pressure washing it, or in high pressure car washes.
then it isn't a real Jeep!
Old 03-04-2009, 05:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by greenamphibious
then it isn't a real Jeep!
Nope, its not, it has a hard top, 4 doors, navigation and bluetooth.

It does have a 6 speed and its a Rubicon so that's gotta help a little.

Quick Reply: Are Jeep's made from crap?