Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Are Jeep's made from crap?

Old 03-04-2009, 08:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To respond to a couple of responses

I drove a 1995 Land Rover Discovery with 4" OME springs, long travel Bilstiens, Great Basin Rover Steering stuff, 1.5 to double carden drive shafts, front and rear bumpers, rock sliders, Borla exhaust, warn 8500, bfg 33" tires.
I sold the Rover with over 200,000 on it. The Rover was a mall crawler when I bought it, it wasn't when I sold it. I live and work less than 5 miles from both BLM and National Forest. My town is surrounded on all sides by either woods or deserts. I can, and have driven from my house to California,Nevada, or Idaho and barley touched pavement. I love the outdoors and where I live and spend as much time as I can out in the woods.

I was an aircraft mechanic, I have an A&P license. Now I own a Ducati, Husqvarna, and Piaggio Dealership. I am a master Ducati Tech, and until I bought the Jeep, have always worked on my own riggs. I plan to work on the Jeep as needed, but brand new should not need more than maintenance.

I read every owners manual front to back and know how to operate everything in my Jeep, including putting it into 4wd. I only use 4wd on appropriate surfaces.

The time I almost slid off the road with the lockers engaged and in 4 low, I know how to use the lockers. There was 8" of slippery snow over deep ruts. I had just cleared a larger hill 50 yards earlier. It was the fact that the Jeep poped out of gear in this situation that caused me to roll backwards and go crooked on the road (by road I mean two tracks up the side of a rocky butte)

I had a 85 Nissan that poped out of reverse, The new tranny fixed that. Transmissions should never pop out of gear, it is not safe. But they can not find anything wrong.

There is a dealer in a town 20 miles away. My Mac tools dealer tells me they are hillbillys and will mess my truck up. I have been told the dealer I bought from , and go to for repair is the better of the two local dealers. I may have to go to Portland or K-Falls. That would be a real pain, and is why I am also selling my wifes 2002 Landrover, dealer servcie is too far away for the stuff I can't do myself due to special tools and computers.

I do really love what the Jeep can do. I have always wanted to buy a new Jeep and still have it when I am an old guy, even if it has spent most of it's life driving on dirt. The life time warranty was one of te things I thought was cool, the fact that they sold my a new Rubicon with every option for 26K was cool too. I do not want any other Vehicle, I just want this one to work.

I was only comparing to an SRT8 because it has like 500HP and get better mileage.

Frost is OK inside of a Jeep? Come on, I have lived in Alaska, Northern Idaho, and now in Oregon, I have never had that happen before, and neither did any of the other cars parked on the street that day.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

relax man! so you are master mechanic and a ninja we get it....

seriously... I know it sucks. demand dealer satisfaction or file it as a lemon.... once you work out the "quirks" you'll love it
Old 03-04-2009, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

its true tho. the frost thing? i used to own a 95 wrangler soft top which leaked pools of rain water everywhere inside, but i still never got frost in there. i loved that rig.

rubicon for 26k....im kicking myself in the balls for getting an X for 31. im not that far from you either, im in seattle.

like everyone else is saying, just get em fixed, mod your jeep, and you'll love it. every vehicle has problems and issues. i've popped out of gear too, but i just put it back in the next highest, and away i go. no big deal.

some of the 4wd systems are weird. my 95 YJ wouldn't like to go into 4hi unless i was moving, but my JK will do it whenever i ask for it. maybe you should take it in for them to get a real service done. check the gears and everything. i dunno, drive it up to seattle and stay at a hotel while they fix it. drive around a loaner rubi or x or whatever, and see if that has any problems.

minus the small things like the plastic on the inside, very easily cracked front windshield, leaky tops, etc, i love my Jeep. and honestly i would prefer nothing else. land rover will come maybe when im old and i pass my rig to my kid, but for now, the JK is awesome.

btw i have 25k miles in a year on mine, and no problems at all on my 08 X.

just fix the problems, and enjoy.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:10 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

The frost inside will happen if there is moisture inside when the temp drops. Look under your carpets. I'll bet you will find water, or at least, wet carpets.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:13 PM
JK Newbie

I have a bunch of business travel for the next two weeks. When I return I will have about 6500 on it. I will see if all the freeway miles help it. Maybe I have been driving aroud off road too much.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

No, they are not crap, but all brands have some bad vehicles.. And Jeep/Dodge ratios are a little higher than some of the other brands, but still not bad. The problem seems obvious to me, both your local dealers suck.

I have an 08 X with 15,000 miles and absolutely ZERO problems, but I dread when I do have a problem because the dealer I bought it from has now gone out of business and the one left in the area, I just don't trust.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:07 PM
JK Jedi

I think a lot of it can be mods too. I had a lot more issues after putting on my bumper, all terrains and wheels with greater backspacing than I did when it was all stock.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bendista jeeper
I drove a 1995 Land Rover Discovery with 4" OME springs, long travel Bilstiens, Great Basin Rover Steering stuff, 1.5 to double carden drive shafts, front and rear bumpers, rock sliders, Borla exhaust, warn 8500, bfg 33" tires.
I sold the Rover with over 200,000 on it. The Rover was a mall crawler when I bought it, it wasn't when I sold it. I live and work less than 5 miles from both BLM and National Forest. My town is surrounded on all sides by either woods or deserts. I can, and have driven from my house to California,Nevada, or Idaho and barley touched pavement. I love the outdoors and where I live and spend as much time as I can out in the woods.

I was an aircraft mechanic, I have an A&P license. Now I own a Ducati, Husqvarna, and Piaggio Dealership. I am a master Ducati Tech, and until I bought the Jeep, have always worked on my own riggs. I plan to work on the Jeep as needed, but brand new should not need more than maintenance.

I read every owners manual front to back and know how to operate everything in my Jeep, including putting it into 4wd. I only use 4wd on appropriate surfaces.

The time I almost slid off the road with the lockers engaged and in 4 low, I know how to use the lockers. There was 8" of slippery snow over deep ruts. I had just cleared a larger hill 50 yards earlier. It was the fact that the Jeep poped out of gear in this situation that caused me to roll backwards and go crooked on the road (by road I mean two tracks up the side of a rocky butte)

I had a 85 Nissan that poped out of reverse, The new tranny fixed that. Transmissions should never pop out of gear, it is not safe. But they can not find anything wrong.

There is a dealer in a town 20 miles away. My Mac tools dealer tells me they are hillbillys and will mess my truck up. I have been told the dealer I bought from , and go to for repair is the better of the two local dealers. I may have to go to Portland or K-Falls. That would be a real pain, and is why I am also selling my wifes 2002 Landrover, dealer servcie is too far away for the stuff I can't do myself due to special tools and computers.

I do really love what the Jeep can do. I have always wanted to buy a new Jeep and still have it when I am an old guy, even if it has spent most of it's life driving on dirt. The life time warranty was one of te things I thought was cool, the fact that they sold my a new Rubicon with every option for 26K was cool too. I do not want any other Vehicle, I just want this one to work.

I was only comparing to an SRT8 because it has like 500HP and get better mileage.

Frost is OK inside of a Jeep? Come on, I have lived in Alaska, Northern Idaho, and now in Oregon, I have never had that happen before, and neither did any of the other cars parked on the street that day.

SHUT UP!!! No one cares about your land rover!
Old 03-04-2009, 03:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bendista jeeper
Ok, I live in Edmonton Alberta Canada Eh! Of course it happens, whats the big deal about the frost....get rid of your Jeep if you don't like it.
Look dude, you came onto a forum where 99% of the people active here LOVE their Jeeps, and you say it's made of crap and then bitch and whine about it...at first I was trying to be helpful but now I see that if you're that displeased with it, get rid of it and don't expect any support from a forum dedicated to those that love their JK's

...oh, by the way...did you know they don't have low windshield washer fluid warning lights either?
Old 03-04-2009, 03:49 PM
JK Freak

My Jeep is Hella Cool!!

No major problems.

Quick Reply: Are Jeep's made from crap?