Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Are Jeep's made from crap?

Old 03-04-2009, 07:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by greenamphibious
well honestly it sucks that you are having issues... but really, aside from the transfer case everything sounds like nit picking... you bought a jeep.
If my Jeep pop out of gear like that it would be gone! If they could not fix the speedo, it would be gone. If he's having problems shifting into 4-hi, it should be gone! 13.4 MPG? I don't know. The OP seems to drive in 4WD a lot. The compares it to a street queen. We also don't know if he's driving in 4WD on the street. I wouldn't think so, but you never know.

My suggestion would be to find an unmoded Rubi and drive it around and compare.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MB-08-JK(R)
I've always been told not to buy the first production year of any vehicle (2007 in this case) because they typically have issues...
I know this is a common thought....but I own an '07 and can happily tell you I have ZERO complaints with my Jeep, love it and wouldn't trade it for a thing
Old 03-04-2009, 07:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NateJK
Sounds like you might have a lemon. You might want to check into that.

What did you drive previously?
it also sounds like you didn't even read his post
Old 03-04-2009, 07:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bendista jeeper
First, the speedo sometimes sticks at 40 when driving on slick sufaces, dealer can't find the problem.
...not sure what the problem is here...but if it makes you feel better my bro's '07 Nissan Xterra does the same thing

Second, It pops out of 1rst and won't go back into gear until the revs come back down, this problem should be first but I am listing in order of occurance not importance.
...dealer should look into sorting this out for you, something needs adjsuting perhaps

Third, Interior completly covered in frost, even the gun in the glove box.
...well, shouldn't be crazy upset over this if it was humid out first then froze overnight you gotta imagine you'll find some frost especially on a hunk of metal

Fourth, TPMS set to 40 PSI, had to fight dealer them to even see if they could do it. Then they wanted to charge me 97 dollars to do it....
...I'll give you this, many are disappointed with the TPMS that came out in '08-'09, shouldn't make you disgusted with your Jeep though...pony up and get it disabled or adjusted

Fifth, Still pops out of gear, and wont go back in until the revs go down, witch I think takes way too long.
...again, see the dealer...however especially going back into 1st your RPM and vehicle speed do need to be down to pretty much nothing, that's common for all of us

Sixth, poped out of gear in 4 low, locked rear, starting to slide sideways on a steep snow covered two track road. I almost didn't save it.
...locked diff on snow or ice = loss of control on ALL locked vehicles, be careful and drive appropriately

7th, clunks into gears, sounds like my rover did when the transfer case output shaft bearing was going bad. Lots of clunk when trying to shift in 4x4 high or low.
...again, see the dealer, you may have some legit trani issues

8th, almost impossable to shift into 4wd sometimes....
...I'm with someone else that mentioned this, are you trying to shift in at a dead stop? Try rolling forward a couple miles an hour and it should slide right in

9th, For 13.4 MPG I would expect a little more power. My buddies SRT8 Grand Cherokee gets 18 in town and 23 hwy. I get 13 and 19? WTF
...First...don't trust what the little indicator on the dash is telling you, not at all...if you really want to know your MPG calculate it appropriately yourself, but don't be offended if it is a tad low when the engine is new, when it breaks in it will get better

I imagine that once you get the trani issues sorted out with the dealer you'll be ALOT happier with your purchase and the other small things will probably disapear...don't blame all Jeeps as crap, you may just be one of the unlucky ones that got ONE of how many that had some transmission issues, ANY vehicle manufacturer can have these problems
Old 03-04-2009, 07:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eDiveBuddy
If my Jeep pop out of gear like that it would be gone! If they could not fix the speedo, it would be gone. If he's having problems shifting into 4-hi, it should be gone! 13.4 MPG? I don't know. The OP seems to drive in 4WD a lot. The compares it to a street queen. We also don't know if he's driving in 4WD on the street. I wouldn't think so, but you never know.

My suggestion would be to find an unmoded Rubi and drive it around and compare.
if mine popped out of gear I would fix it

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
I know this is a common thought....but I own an '07 and can happily tell you I have ZERO complaints with my Jeep, love it and wouldn't trade it for a thing
so far (7k miles) I am right there with ya.... knock on wood
Old 03-04-2009, 08:28 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow. I have to admit, since the dealer fixed my leaking timing cover, I have not had ONE SINGLE problem from my Jeep. Not one. Got a touch over 12K on it now. I sure am sorry you're having all the trouble you're having, but all Jeeps aren't bad. Most of them are not. Most times, people with good vehicles don't speak out because they don't have a reason to bitch.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:36 AM
JK Newbie

You bought a Wrangler stop bitching.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default re

My 07 just rolled over 55k (including a GREAT trip to Moab from maine) and I have to say other than a slight water leak, no real issues. I did have a oil leak at 12k or so and they fixed it. The plastic does scratch easily which is a bummer. All in all, I LOVE IT!
Old 03-04-2009, 08:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeepfiend
You bought a Wrangler stop bitching.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:50 AM
JK Freak

I own an 07 and not one problem. Any brand car that you buy is going to have a percentage of cars that have problems. Most of yours seem to be transmission related. Take it back and get it fixed. I also agree that your transfer case problem is probably caused by not knowing that the Jeep shifts into 4lo easier when moving.

Quick Reply: Are Jeep's made from crap?