Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Are Jeep's made from crap?

Old 06-05-2013, 11:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have had my brand new 2013 JK for about a month. Already been in the shop for issues that they can't seem to fix. Like I tell my friends, "You don't buy a Jeep because its reliable!" On my 5th one.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep junk?

Originally Posted by Warpath
I have had my brand new 2013 JK for about a month. Already been in the shop for issues that they can't seem to fix. Like I tell my friends, "You don't buy a Jeep because its reliable!" On my 5th one.
My 2008 has been as reliable as a refridgerator and about as exciting as one too. 3.8l sux
Old 06-05-2013, 04:41 PM
JK Freak

Default Gpw

As one of the previous posts stated, I too wish Ford would buy Jeep from Chrysler/Fiat. Of the 3 companies that made the Jeep for WWII, Ford is the only one still in business.

http://www.42fordgpw.com/index.html
Old 06-05-2013, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm with EVERYONE who's had problems with their JK. I have an '11 and wish like anything I waited until the new motor was put in. And to the guys who are saying they're getting over 16 mpg are ones who live in Kansas with no traffic lights. Mpg is based on where you live and believe me, where I live, when I had the stock motor, I averaged 9-10 mpg because of the hills and all the lights,stop signs, etc... Once I put the hemi in, my mpg improved to 12-13. Jeep went down hill just before 2006. And now the CEO is bowing to our President and giving money to China by moving certain Jeep product plants there.
I've had so many issues with mine even before the motor swap, and all problems were different which depending on the time frame between issues, wouldn't fall under the lemon law. Granted, we don't by Jeeps for reliability- we USED to....but not anymore. This is my 3rd; had a '92 YJ and a 2000 TJ Sahara before. The inline 6 was Awesome! Once they decided stuffing the engine compartment with more computer issues and putting a mini van motor in it, they lost it. Granted, the suspension and design has improved (many of us would say) but ugh...it ain't what it used to be.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:14 PM
JK Freak

I know this much...the more I mod and throw away Chrysler OEM parts, the better it gets.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

I must be lucky. My XJ held up for 155K with no major problems before I got rid of it. My 07 JK had 113k on it when I traded it in, and the worst issue was having to change the EGR valve at 90K. My 2013 JKR has 11K on it with no problems. Even the 07 Compass my wife had never had any major problems.

One reason I like Jeeps is that I can work on them. Most new cars are built the same where everything is crammed in and you have to remove everything to replace something broken. Anybody that takes their car to the dealer after the warranty has expired may need to buy something other than a Jeep. I'd imagine most of us fix our Jeeps ourselves or calls somebody who can help.

Last edited by caveman8fb; 06-06-2013 at 08:10 AM. Reason: replace t with y somewhere in the post
Old 06-06-2013, 09:33 AM
JK Freak

I'm on my 2nd jeep and only because I traded my 2011 after 6 months for a 2012. My 2012 has had a few funky issues such as clunky noise in the steering, traction control randomly coming on, and now a strange brake squeak... I'm sure there will be other "it's a jeep thing" issues that arise but I tell you what, nothing beats top down and doors off on a sunny weekend around town!

Would I want it as my daily? NO, definitely not. So that may be the biggest issue is with the daily drivers having to deal with clunks and squeaks every day, but for me, "its a jeep thing" and I'm fine with it!
Old 06-06-2013, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by timh1955
My 2008 has been as reliable as a refridgerator and about as exciting as one too. 3.8l sux
hahaha well said!
Old 06-06-2013, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
Old 06-06-2013, 01:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caveman8fb
I must be lucky. My XJ held up for 155K with no major problems before I got rid of it. My 07 JK had 113k on it when I traded it in, and the worst issue was having to change the EGR valve at 90K. My 2013 JKR has 11K on it with no problems. Even the 07 Compass my wife had never had any major problems.

One reason I like Jeeps is that I can work on them. Most new cars are built the same where everything is crammed in and you have to remove everything to replace something broken. Anybody that takes their car to the dealer after the warranty has expired may need to buy something other than a Jeep. I'd imagine most of us fix our Jeeps ourselves or calls somebody who can help.
Well said...

Quick Reply: Are Jeep's made from crap?