Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Are Jeep's made from crap?

Old 06-05-2013, 05:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Comes down to the dealer. I have had Chrysler products for the last 30 years and have had no complaints at all. The local dealership is 1 in a million I guess. If I have a warranty issue its fixed and on we go. My latest pickup is an 98 RAM 1500 which my son now drives has close to 350,000 on the original drivetrain. Motor never touched, transmission needed work at 180,000. Some people are lucky I guess and some are not. Within our immediate family we own 5 JKs, 4 Ram PU, 2 300C, 2 Caravans non of which have had issues.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The OP was right 4 years ago and he's right today; Jeep's are junk, they're always at the bottom of any reliability survey:

2013 Vehicle Dependability Study | J.D. Power

I've had plenty of problems with my 11' JKUR. As long as Jeep apologists keep buying Jeep junk and then defending their Jeep junk Jeep will continue to make profits while abusing Jeep owners, laughing all the way to the bank.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an old thread but someone brought it back to life. I find it funny the OP is a Ducati dealer and is throwing stones at any other brand made ever.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder what the OP finally bought.

Jeeps, like pretty much everything man made, are fashioned from the earth (dirt). Creatures poop in the dirt. So there is crap in the dirt.

So technically, I guess Jeeps are made of crap since there was at least some crap in the dirt they were made from.

My poor abused Jeep has been almost without fault since 07. They must have missed most of the crap when they mined the materials. Or it wasn't built on Friday?

Besides, anybody who buys (or keeps) a Wrangler after reading all the J.D. Powers type rags and forum horror stories gets what they deserve.

Last edited by Yankee; 06-05-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:26 AM
JK Newbie

Jeeps are crap, no question in my mind. I've owned a CJ, a YJ, three TJs, and now a JKU, and they have all been crap.

If anyone (well, almost anyone) built something that was comparable, I'd buy it. If I didn't like Jeeps so much, there's no way I'd put up with all of the issues...especially with my JK. Since there isn't another choice, we deal with it.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I also find it funny that though they seem to be rated poorly, that have one of the highest resale values lol
Old 06-05-2013, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rainmn
If anyone (well, almost anyone) built something that was comparable, I'd buy it. If I didn't like Jeeps so much, there's no way I'd put up with all of the issues...especially with my JK. Since there isn't another choice, we deal with it.
Exactly.... I wish Ford made my Jeep.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:15 AM
JK Newbie

You guys might think I'm crazy but I look at anything that breaks as a break for me to be able to justify another new part, upgraded of course. I'm preparing for a Rubicon trip in 2014 and expedition to Moab in 2015 and my non jeep friends keep telling me you'll scratch and dent it up. To which I reply, oh well, I can get new parts that I really want anyway. Yes, yes I know that it cost's money and as far as I can tell money doesn't grow on trees, but there is a silver lining to problems, especially when you enjoy working on your jeep!
Old 06-05-2013, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thefrohn
Exactly.... I wish Ford made my Jeep.
Then I deff would never own a Jeep. Haha

Originally Posted by edhjeeper
You guys might think I'm crazy but I look at anything that breaks as a break for me to be able to justify another new part, upgraded of course. I'm preparing for a Rubicon trip in 2014 and expedition to Moab in 2015 and my non jeep friends keep telling me you'll scratch and dent it up. To which I reply, oh well, I can get new parts that I really want anyway. Yes, yes I know that it cost's money and as far as I can tell money doesn't grow on trees, but there is a silver lining to problems, especially when you enjoy working on your jeep!
Before we left for Moab my fiancee got t-boned. Crushed the sidestep & rocker panel. I told her better now than never since it already needs work we may as well still go to Moab. So while there she hits this huge stump with braches on the driver side right behind the rocker on the quarter panel messing it up & breaking the fender haha Luckily all the damage was on the driver side & the passenger side was still intact by the time we got home. But we almost blew the engine due to it burning oil & me not knowing at that time.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

s
Originally Posted by dognights
This is an old thread but someone brought it back to life. I find it funny the OP is a Ducati dealer and is throwing stones at any other brand made ever.
A Duc owner/dealer complaining about Jeeps. Now that's funny.

My $0.02 is that it all has to be taken in stride. I paid $23k for my new Jeep. It's one of the most capable vehicles on the road. A lot of less capable vehicles cost much more. It's also one of the cheapest "convertibles" you can buy, with the option of a hard or soft top, straight from the factory. It's a good value to me, and I also haven't had any catestrophic issues. Knowing Jeeps are what they are, it's the same reason I wouldn't be willing to pay more than about $25k for one, let alone $35k or $45k.

Quick Reply: Are Jeep's made from crap?