Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Are Jeep's made from crap?

Old 01-27-2010, 01:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WindyCityGuy
536 miles and not one single problem!!
good thing the mall is only .85 miles from your house
Old 06-02-2013, 09:18 AM
JK Freak

After 4 years, I think that you were right....

JK'S ARE MADE FROM CRAP

But I still love it !
Old 06-02-2013, 09:24 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Bendista jeeper
I am starting to regret my purchase. I bought a 2008 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited in October. I have 3400 miles on it. I drive it to work (1.5 miles) when the weather is too bad for my bike or scooter. The rest of the time I drive around on forest service roads, fire roads, and some trails. I plan to use the jeep for travel and towing my motorcycles to races this spring and summer. A wrangler seemed like the only worthy replacement for my Land Rover Discovery. The stock Jeep Rubicon is also as capable off road as my lifted and armored Rover.
I like the Jeep, but I am not sure how much. I really cant think of another vehicle I want, but I shouldn't have to put up with some of this crap in a 30,000 dollar truck.

First, the speedo sometimes sticks at 40 when driving on slick sufaces, dealer can't find the problem.

Second, It pops out of 1rst and won't go back into gear until the revs come back down, this problem should be first but I am listing in order of occurance not importance.

Third, Interior completly covered in frost, even the gun in the glove box.

Fourth, TPMS set to 40 PSI, had to fight dealer them to even see if they could do it. Then they wanted to charge me 97 dollars to do it. I told them to ask their general manager if he thinks he should pay when he needs a little adjustment on the Ducati he bought from my shop (dealer set up charges should include adjustments for the first 30 days, it is only good service)

Fifth, Still pops out of gear, and wont go back in until the revs go down, witch I think takes way too long.

Sixth, poped out of gear in 4 low, locked rear, starting to slide sideways on a steep snow covered two track road. I almost didn't save it.

7th, clunks into gears, sounds like my rover did when the transfer case output shaft bearing was going bad. Lots of clunk when trying to shift in 4x4 high or low.

8th, almost impossable to shift into 4wd sometimes. It was stiff at first and I would think that would be normal since it was new. A few truck I have had probably were never used in 4wd and they were all tight until I had used it for a while. But this has gotten worse and I use 4 high several times a week, and 4 low at least once a week, many times in and out of 4wd all day long. It is to the point that I avaid using 4wd unless I really really need to. That usually means going fast and harder in 2wd, not always the best choice.

9th, For 13.4 MPG I would expect a little more power. My buddies SRT8 Grand Cherokee gets 18 in town and 23 hwy. I get 13 and 19? WTF

Every time I go to the dealer they ask if I changed the tires and lifted it. I say no, it is a rubicon, they come with those tires.

I really do not know what I would replace the JK with. I thought I would buy it, pay it off in a couple years (I had a huge down) and own it forever.
I bought a new Jeep because I intend to keep it forever, I am not sure this one can live up to that task.
My 2011 COD has over 42,000 miles on it and runs great!
Don't know what's going with yours.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will never be as smooth as your Rover, and your Rover will never be as capable. Go out right now, jump in that crudely designed pile of crap, go to buy yourself a $10 latte, and decide what better suites your parking image: you strike me as a Toyota FJ with windshiel lights kinda guy, or maybe a spotless SVT Raptor.

Wheel that piece of crap JK to the dealer, hop the curb so you can righteously claim you took it off road, and trade that SOB in.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

You guys know this thread is 4 years old right???

And I'm pretty sure the concensus is that JKs are cheaply built and over priced, but it's the only solid axle SUV out right now.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DeucesALLin
It will never be as smooth as your Rover, and your Rover will never be as capable. Go out right now, jump in that crudely designed pile of crap, go to buy yourself a $10 latte, and decide what better suites your parking image: you strike me as a Toyota FJ with windshiel lights kinda guy, or maybe a spotless SVT Raptor.

Wheel that piece of crap JK to the dealer, hop the curb so you can righteously claim you took it off road, and trade that SOB in.
LMFAO..... awesome.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by The Whale

LMFAO..... awesome.
Yep. O.P. was an asshat. my 2011 has 96k on it. And only had oil changes, and ball joints. Rear brakes and shocks were replaced. Nothing else.

Love it. I came from a 2010 patriot, and 2 f150 trucks before. Love my pos the best ha ha. I wheel it, but never over the same rock for hours. Ha ha.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:37 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by otservice
You guys know this thread is 4 years old right???

Exactly!

It's interesting because 4 years ago noboby believed the OP. And in 2013, we all know that JKs are cheaply built with many issues
Old 06-04-2013, 07:10 PM
JK Newbie

Default Re:

Originally Posted by Bendista jeeper
I drove a 1995 Land Rover Discovery with 4" OME springs, long travel Bilstiens, Great Basin Rover Steering stuff, 1.5 to double carden drive shafts, front and rear bumpers, rock sliders, Borla exhaust, warn 8500, bfg 33" tires.
I sold the Rover with over 200,000 on it. The Rover was a mall crawler when I bought it, it wasn't when I sold it. I live and work less than 5 miles from both BLM and National Forest. My town is surrounded on all sides by either woods or deserts. I can, and have driven from my house to California,Nevada, or Idaho and barley touched pavement. I love the outdoors and where I live and spend as much time as I can out in the woods.

I was an aircraft mechanic, I have an A&P license. Now I own a Ducati, Husqvarna, and Piaggio Dealership. I am a master Ducati Tech, and until I bought the Jeep, have always worked on my own riggs. I plan to work on the Jeep as needed, but brand new should not need more than maintenance.

I read every owners manual front to back and know how to operate everything in my Jeep, including putting it into 4wd. I only use 4wd on appropriate surfaces.

The time I almost slid off the road with the lockers engaged and in 4 low, I know how to use the lockers. There was 8" of slippery snow over deep ruts. I had just cleared a larger hill 50 yards earlier. It was the fact that the Jeep poped out of gear in this situation that caused me to roll backwards and go crooked on the road (by road I mean two tracks up the side of a rocky butte)

I had a 85 Nissan that poped out of reverse, The new tranny fixed that. Transmissions should never pop out of gear, it is not safe. But they can not find anything wrong.

There is a dealer in a town 20 miles away. My Mac tools dealer tells me they are hillbillys and will mess my truck up. I have been told the dealer I bought from , and go to for repair is the better of the two local dealers. I may have to go to Portland or K-Falls. That would be a real pain, and is why I am also selling my wifes 2002 Landrover, dealer servcie is too far away for the stuff I can't do myself due to special tools and computers.

I do really love what the Jeep can do. I have always wanted to buy a new Jeep and still have it when I am an old guy, even if it has spent most of it's life driving on dirt. The life time warranty was one of te things I thought was cool, the fact that they sold my a new Rubicon with every option for 26K was cool too. I do not want any other Vehicle, I just want this one to work.

I was only comparing to an SRT8 because it has like 500HP and get better mileage.

Frost is OK inside of a Jeep? Come on, I have lived in Alaska, Northern Idaho, and now in Oregon, I have never had that happen before, and neither did any of the other cars parked on the street that day.
Bring it on over to Wilson Motors here in Corvallis if need be. I've had great luck with them in the past though never had to visit since I bought my 08 from them new. Correctly working JK's are a blast and you deserve to experience it.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKU Rubicon
Exactly!

It's interesting because 4 years ago noboby believed the OP. And in 2013, we all know that JKs are cheaply built with many issues
You would've thought most people buying a Chrysler product, especially Jeeps would know they are built like shit and over priced though lol People obviously don't do their research or aren't "car people". It's funny how people get mad at others when they put down Jeep, but there's a history to every brand out there and some are worse than others. I've loved Jeeps since I was a kid, but could never pull the trigger on a Chrysler product till I got my old 2006 300SRT-8. Then I met my fiancee and she's got a '10 JK. Horrible luck with both Chrysler dealerships and various problems with both vehicles, but we wont be getting rid of the JK anytime soon. We just wont deal with the dealership anymore unless it's major. I'll still say they are shitty vehicles and over-priced even if we own one

Some can admit the truth, others are just in denial and then something major happens and they have the same attitude haha

Quick Reply: Are Jeep's made from crap?