Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Are Jeep's made from crap?

Old 01-26-2010, 09:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

"btw... When things go south with my JK, I have stopped taking it to the dealer. The techs at the nearest Dodge/Jeep dealership are clueless. I do it myself"

So thankful mine's a good one. It's so frustrating just to get them to do their check ups because their service is so crappy I couldn't imagine how annoying it'd be to have to deal with real issues. It took them a whole day to fix my broken stabilizer, which is the only problem I've had. A WHOLE DAY! I told them, "Just gimme the damn thing so I can install it myself in 15 minutes." Nope, "Drop it off at 7am and pick it up at 4p." For a stabilizer? Same thing goes for the oil changes.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got two 2008 Rubi's. I did burn up a transmission on mine after about 20K miles, with most of it on trails. Should have added a cooler for the crawling. My other one, my wifes, has never has had a problem, but it only has 7000 miles, with only a few trail miles.

My other cars are a BMW 740iL, and I have a 2008 Prius (yeah, yeah, yeah). I'll take the JK anyday. Heck, I think it is the best vehicle I ever owned, few problems.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:43 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well 25K and now my tranny is slipping. They better warranty it if it goes.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:31 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Well 25K and now my tranny is slipping. They better warranty it if it goes.
Should be. I used mine as an excuse to get a Hemi.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Lefthand wrote: "Should have added a cooler for the crawling."

A cooler can void your warranty according to my dealer. I wouldn't add one if you have the lifetime warranty.

BTW I wish I had a Prius. Those cars are cool. I don't care what people on this board say. Not in place of my JK of course...unless gas hits $4.50 again...
Old 01-26-2010, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

what can i say ive had jeeps in my family for over 20 years if anything ever broke we just fixed it,just like any vehicle and besides its a jeep take the top off and let your hair blow in the wind>>okay that was gay
Old 01-26-2010, 11:23 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by spartan99
Lefthand wrote: "Should have added a cooler for the crawling."

A cooler can void your warranty according to my dealer. I wouldn't add one if you have the lifetime warranty.

BTW I wish I had a Prius. Those cars are cool. I don't care what people on this board say. Not in place of my JK of course...unless gas hits $4.50 again...
I love my JK. The Prius has been getting better than 50MPG mixed city and hiway. Thing is, I can only drive it a few days then I HAVE TO get back into my JK.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:12 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RescueGreen#3
I think that's kind of the nature of the thread I guess. It's just too bad that Jeep struggled with consistency in engineering. Whether it be subpar vendors for ancillary components or not, it's too bad they didn't nail it down. When you go to other "enthusiast-sites" dodge 4x4, GMC 4x4 or Porsche sites etc, you don't see nearly the same "my **** is broke, do I go to the dealer" style threads that you do on the various JK boards.

Again, as mentioned in a prior page, I'm gonna keep my JK for as long as possible. I love this JK and it has great features. Sadly the quality & consistency isn't one of them. If you got a good one, that's awesome!

btw... When things go south with my JK, I have stopped taking it to the dealer. The techs at the nearest Dodge/Jeep dealership are clueless. I do it myself
They're there you just have to look. My other toy is a C32 AMG -- makes the problems encountered here look like chump change.

Long and short of it is that people love to rant and rave about all their problems on public forums. I think if polled, 90+ plus would say they have not had problems with exception to minor stuff. Forums seem to bring out the criers and whiners everywhere (some probably have legitimate issues I'm sure).

I always love the 'our cheap' plastic interior rants - yes it's cheap and scratched when a gym shoe touches it. Go look at the Z06 interior and tell me how great that is? It's a joke for a $80,000 dollar performance vehicle. It's an American thing!

My Jeep has a squeaky seat, rattles like crazy and throws me around the highway like crazy but when the goat is taken off road, I see what it's all about. I guess it really is a Jeep thing.

Last edited by SWRUBI; 01-26-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:30 PM
JK Jedi

I've owned several Jeeps, but this is my first Wrangler. I drove my Cherokee nearly into the ground and it by far had the least amount of problems of any vehicle I have ever owned. I'm hoping to own my JK well, forever.

Here is the thing...to me, I bought a JK thinking I was buying a blank canvas. Even in it's stock Rubi form, I am amazed at what it can do. But again, it is a blank canvas. I am meticulously planning my build. When I'm done, I probably won't care much about warranties or what Chrysler should have included as an option. The finished product will be the closest I could ever come to a custom, one of a kind vehicle, made exactly to my liking.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:51 PM
JK Newbie

amen brother

Quick Reply: Are Jeep's made from crap?