Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Are Jeep's made from crap?

Old 01-26-2010, 05:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchase a 2007 sahara unlimited 4 dr. ordered it in feb, they shut down production for a couple of weeks due to production issues, first two years just fit and finish issues, taken care of by dealers, this past year no problems, drivetrain excellent
Old 01-26-2010, 05:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JKlad
Sorry to revive this post again, but noticed another thing in the OP's rant that proves he's full of shit.

The guy claims he drives mainly offroad on forestry trails, etc and shifts in & out between 2-hi, 4-hi & 4-low frequently. OK, all good so far. We also notice he seems to pick up every little (it often seems imaginary) fault the JK throws up, so it's unlikely a common and very obvious problem that we all experience at some time with the JK would escape his attention.

Still all good, but now here's the thing.

All of us who wheel offroad with JKs & use the transfer case shift lever know that sooner rather than later, you'll break the little plastic c-clip that holds the transfer lever cable on to the linkage at the transfer case end, requiring us to get under our jeep in the mud or snow, manipulate the linkage manually, and then replace the 30 cent clip when we get a replacement and zip-tie the cable on so it won't come off again.

And yet our friend hasn't mentioned this at all, despite all his offroading on trails in the snow; busted loser!
I don't get your logic while I don't know if the OP is full of it or not, him not mentioning the c clip doesn't change anything, I do wheel a lot and my original c clip still works (knock on wood) I do believe you're no sherlock
Old 01-26-2010, 06:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in and out of 4x4 and 4lo and all the time... I never had an issue with the linkage.. I have 54K on my JK.

P.S.- do you all remember the first time the 4dr JK was shown to the public.. it was covered in what we thought was mud.. nope, it was actually monkey poo.

all of our JK's are this JK's lineage.. so they are in fact made of monkey poo.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:39 AM
JK Super Freak

I have an 07 that shakes out of 4th on really shitty roads but that's it. Your mileage was my biggest surprise?? I'm running 265/75/R16 on 3.21's and averaging 20-23 mpg. I'm sure you have either checked or replaced your filter, but if you haven't that's where I would start. With the shifting into 4wd, I had that problem, just slip it into neutral real quick and it will slide right in. My only other question is are you running a soft top in the winter, cause that could be why there is frost, or your seals on your hardtop(if you have one) could have issues, just get new seals.

Don't give up too soon! And best of luck
Old 01-26-2010, 07:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between

Without reading all the previous pages, I dont know if the issue of his tranny popping out of first was addressed or not.
Iv read on another thread about owners having the same problem and the fault is within the tranny.
One of the bearings is faulty, hence the reason for the tranny popping out of gear.
Dealer SHOULD replace the tranny under warrenty.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have an old fashioned baseball cap which reads "Jeep. Quality Tested."

well, maybe in ww2 but honestly, if I knew that my jku would have so many limitations in quality, I probably wouldve bought something else. I'm a "car guy." I have a classic muscle car in my 3rd bay under a car cover, I have a road race SCCA car, a built GMC lifted 4x4, scores of prior 4x4's and a kickazz roller chest by Craftsman chock full of spendy tools which let me do the majority of my repairs and maintenance on all my vehicles.

But, this JKU... Tsk tsk tsk, it leaks, leaks, cracked axle, gets 13-16 mpg, gutless gutless gutless, seriously, this V6 is NOT the correct motor for a Jeep this heavy. It is dangerously under-powered and I could care less what anyone says to dispute this fact. The slew of electrical issues and what-not didn't fit the "Quality Tested" brand of yesteryear.

I will probably keep this Jk for as long as I can but honestly, I will probably not take it too far on trips. I just don't trust it. Too many variables. I'll use our well engineered GMC 4x4 for long distance trips adventures (over 250-300 miles).

Too bad Jeep couldn't really nail down these quality-build-engineering issues because this could have really been a home-run vehicle. It's fun to look at, the Rubi has such great 4x4 compnents but sadly, we all don't trailer our JKUs as dedicated rock crawlers. A lot of us like to drive to go on our adventures. If you can't trust your rig, you can't trust your rig. Regardless of what somebody says on an Internet forum to try to prove their machismo.

I doubt the OP is a forum member anymore but, as someone who only buys American cars/trucks my well wishes are with you!

Last edited by RescueGreen#3; 01-26-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:27 AM
JK Junkie

my Jeep has been reliable.. I actually put it through things I dont think too many other vehicles could handle...

Here is an example..

this is after a tranny fluid change.. I drove 150 miles on it.. flushed it properly once I got it home

It runs PERFECT

I have no complaints about my JK... other than its slow, but it was slow when I test drove it so no surprises there.
and again 54K miles and I wouldnt hesitate taking it on a cross country run.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RescueGreen#3
I will probably keep this Jk for as long as I can but honestly, I will probably not take it too far on trips. I just don't trust it. Too many variables. I'll use our well engineered GMC 4x4 for long distance trips adventures (over 250-300 miles).
I drove mine on a trip from VA to FL...2,000 miles round trip including all of our driving while in FL and had zero problems. Set the cruise to just over 70 and got about 20 MPG for all that hwy driving...was pleased.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

25k miles on mine. No real problems. I guess you either get a good one or a bad one. I trust my JK completely. I've pulled broken cars and jumped many with my JK.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spartan99
.... I guess you either get a good one or a bad one......

I think that's kind of the nature of the thread I guess. It's just too bad that Jeep struggled with consistency in engineering. Whether it be subpar vendors for ancillary components or not, it's too bad they didn't nail it down. When you go to other "enthusiast-sites" dodge 4x4, GMC 4x4 or Porsche sites etc, you don't see nearly the same "my **** is broke, do I go to the dealer" style threads that you do on the various JK boards.

Again, as mentioned in a prior page, I'm gonna keep my JK for as long as possible. I love this JK and it has great features. Sadly the quality & consistency isn't one of them. If you got a good one, that's awesome!

btw... When things go south with my JK, I have stopped taking it to the dealer. The techs at the nearest Dodge/Jeep dealership are clueless. I do it myself

Quick Reply: Are Jeep's made from crap?