Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Are Jeep's made from crap?

Old 11-09-2009, 01:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to clarify...GearWhore revived this thread by posting this today...he did not initiate the thread...this is his post today, posted within are HIS concerns, not the originators

Originally Posted by GearWhore
I traded in my 02 Grand with 4.5" RockKrawler lift and 33" Duelers in August for an 09 Rubicon Unlimited. This is my 4th Jeep and I want to love it just like all of the others, however, I just keep having issues with it that I never had on any of my others (the Grand had 175k miles, the '89 Cherokee before was 245k when I sold it and the '85 Cherokee before that was 240 before I blew the motor). I'm now just shy of 7k miles and have had so many issues!

First, after about 2 weeks there was something VERY wrong in the front end. I took it in and after 3 test drives and 7 days the dealer finally figured out there was something seriously/dangerously wrong in the steering. They replaced the steering box gears I believe and sent me on my way. It took the dealer another 4 days to get the part "overnighted" and get my JK back to me, and in the mean time I had to miss my Labor Day trip to Moab. It seems like this is a somewhat common problem as I have read a few other threads that discuss this and it sounds like they get the same dealer run-around I get. I still notice some rattle in the front end when the engine is warmed up, but the dealer says they can't feel anything. Very frustrating because it comes and goes, and I just have bad visions of what will happen as soon as my warranty runs out.

Also, when I did take it in that first time I swore I could hear and exhaust leak. The dealer said they couldn't replicate it, but since then the noise has disappeared...What did they do and not tell me?

After my first oil change at the dealer (free) the Jeep came back to me making fun Jeep puddles in the garage. NOT COOL! Took it back and they fixed it but really made me loose faith in the service department.

In the last rain storm here I noticed a pool of water collecting on my passenger seat, dripping in from the freedom top connection to the back section over the roll-bar. The dealer said they checked it out but couldn't find a leak. Go figure. Wasn't even raining that hard.

In the last trip to the dealer (different dealer this time), I asked them to check out the rattling noise I'm getting from my transmission (6 spd). They told me they couldn't find anything but wanted to have the service manager do a ride-along. I took him out for a drive on a mildly rough pavement stretch next to the dealer and got the tranny to rattle (though nowhere near as loud as when I'm on gravel). He seemed puzzled but then told me it was just "gear clack" and that there was nothing they could do about it. He said they could replace the transmission but then it would probably start happening in another 30 days. WHAT?! I spent close to $40k on a new vehicle and they tell me to expect my transmission to rattle?! Has anyone else had this issue with their manual transmissions?

I'm at a loss here. I want to love this Jeep as much as I have loved my others, but am having a hard time, especially since this one has had the most problems, yet the only one I've bought new (or even with under 100k miles!)...
Old 11-09-2009, 01:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanc
I was hoping this thread was deleted, this one brings back bad memories.
I agree completely, I thought this one was locked...I don't think GearWhore meant anything by reviving it though
Old 11-09-2009, 07:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a complaint.

My Jeep has a massive leak in the middle.

Everytime it rains or I go through the car wash the interior of my Jeep is soaked.

I showed the guy at the car wash the water in the floor and seats and he said...next time your here I suggest that you have the top and doors on your Jeep.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW. I have less issues out of my 97!
Old 11-10-2009, 10:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I can't believe I read the whole thing!!
Old 11-10-2009, 11:01 AM
JK Freak

Many people have asked me what I think of my Jeep and I always have the same answer: It's the biggest piece of crap that I've ever loved!!!
Old 11-10-2009, 11:27 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JulianK
Many people have asked me what I think of my Jeep and I always have the same answer: It's the biggest piece of crap that I've ever loved!!!
If that isn't the truth. I always tell them it isn't practical unless you need a $25k toy.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to revive this post again, but noticed another thing in the OP's rant that proves he's full of shit.

The guy claims he drives mainly offroad on forestry trails, etc and shifts in & out between 2-hi, 4-hi & 4-low frequently. OK, all good so far. We also notice he seems to pick up every little (it often seems imaginary) fault the JK throws up, so it's unlikely a common and very obvious problem that we all experience at some time with the JK would escape his attention.

Still all good, but now here's the thing.

All of us who wheel offroad with JKs & use the transfer case shift lever know that sooner rather than later, you'll break the little plastic c-clip that holds the transfer lever cable on to the linkage at the transfer case end, requiring us to get under our jeep in the mud or snow, manipulate the linkage manually, and then replace the 30 cent clip when we get a replacement and zip-tie the cable on so it won't come off again.

And yet our friend hasn't mentioned this at all, despite all his offroading on trails in the snow; busted loser!
Old 01-26-2010, 05:31 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Thats exactly why I took a settlement and did not lemon my 08, cause who knows if the 09 would have been any better. It could even be worse.

Currently looking at a nice used TJ with only 13,000 on it.
What did you get out of the settlement? Sounds like this guy got a lemon...invoke lemon law. Have been considereding it for some emissions and fault codes that have randomly appeared and reappeared and the dealer hasd kept mine as long as one week at one point and for a total of 2+ weeks. I can easily make the claim, but was thinking as opposed to letting them buy it back would try for settlement and just buy the lifetime warranty. Mine is still low enough miles to qualify and my problems have not been that bad...really just annoying. However, I got such a good deal I liley can not duplicate it!
Old 01-26-2010, 05:32 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKlad
Sorry to revive this post again, but noticed another thing in the OP's rant that proves he's full of shit.

The guy claims he drives mainly offroad on forestry trails, etc and shifts in & out between 2-hi, 4-hi & 4-low frequently. OK, all good so far. We also notice he seems to pick up every little (it often seems imaginary) fault the JK throws up, so it's unlikely a common and very obvious problem that we all experience at some time with the JK would escape his attention.

Still all good, but now here's the thing.

All of us who wheel offroad with JKs & use the transfer case shift lever know that sooner rather than later, you'll break the little plastic c-clip that holds the transfer lever cable on to the linkage at the transfer case end, requiring us to get under our jeep in the mud or snow, manipulate the linkage manually, and then replace the 30 cent clip when we get a replacement and zip-tie the cable on so it won't come off again.

And yet our friend hasn't mentioned this at all, despite all his offroading on trails in the snow; busted loser!

Quick Reply: Are Jeep's made from crap?