Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Are Jeep's made from crap?

Old 04-21-2009, 09:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought a four door x in may of 07. i'm 46, and have never owned a jeep. i put a 2.5 bb, 33 mt's, a cherry bomb muffler among a few other things because i love the look. personally, i kinda think they look too pedestrian stock.

the only option it has is an auto trans. no air, power locks or windows....it's a jeep!! it's loud, rumbles like a fuckin tank, darts around a bit, rattles and thunks going over bumps, has a cheap plastic interior that's scratched to rat shit and gets shit gas mileage and i love every fuckin minute i drive it!! top down, doors off, there's nothing like it!!

that said, i've had no problems with mine, not even a leak!! i have not taken it off road and not sure if i will....call me a posing, mall crawling dick if you like, who cares? as i said earlier, i just love the look of a modded out jeep.

when i bought it, after driving a mini van for ever, i didn't expect nor want it to drive like one. point is, sounds like the op bought a bit of a lemon and i don't blame him for complaining......and not everyone who is a first time jeep owner expects it to drive like their old suv/mini van/whatever.

just drive your jeep and have fun man cause that's what being a jeep owner is all about in my humble opinion.....
Old 04-21-2009, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

The OP can give his JK to me I can't afford one yet.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The OP is long-gone ... time to kill this thread.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:03 PM
JK Newbie

Mine's been reliable where it counts, but I do think they use really cheap materials. Like the hard top, interior plastic which scratches if you even look at it wrong, really thin sheet metal, etc. But it's always been that way with Wranglers, so it's nothing new.

I just think that for a vehicle that is supposed to be rugged you would want to use something other than the cheapest plastic, etc. available.

I guess with the huge aftermarket they just expect people to replace the bumpers, fender flares, etc. Maybe that's why they use material that isn't very durable.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by White Widow
nope not all jeeps, just the jks.
I would agree with that. My 2001 Jeep had 170 thousand miles on it and it was still on the original clutch and I didn't even do my first tune up until I had over a 100 thousand miles on it. I went through 3 sets of tires and 2 sets of breaks. Other than that nothing on it broke and I drove that jeep like I stole it.

Which happens to be the way I drive this one. I give them kudos for the awesome sound system and the comfort they added. A wag of the finger for the computer crap they put in which caused my Jeep to shut completely off going 60 down the road at night.

I used to build the parts for jeeps and they had the highest quality parts in them back then. I don't know if that is the case now.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hbomb
i bought a four door x in may of 07. i'm 46, and have never owned a jeep. i put a 2.5 bb, 33 mt's, a cherry bomb muffler among a few other things because i love the look. personally, i kinda think they look too pedestrian stock.

the only option it has is an auto trans. no air, power locks or windows....it's a jeep!! it's loud, rumbles like a fuckin tank, darts around a bit, rattles and thunks going over bumps, has a cheap plastic interior that's scratched to rat shit and gets shit gas mileage and i love every fuckin minute i drive it!! top down, doors off, there's nothing like it!!

that said, i've had no problems with mine, not even a leak!! i have not taken it off road and not sure if i will....call me a posing, mall crawling dick if you like, who cares? as i said earlier, i just love the look of a modded out jeep.

when i bought it, after driving a mini van for ever, i didn't expect nor want it to drive like one. point is, sounds like the op bought a bit of a lemon and i don't blame him for complaining......and not everyone who is a first time jeep owner expects it to drive like their old suv/mini van/whatever.

just drive your jeep and have fun man cause that's what being a jeep owner is all about in my humble opinion.....
Yours is the exact setup i want when I eventually buy a JK. Currently driving a 2003 Chevy Avalanche which has a great ride to it. Do I expect the JK to ride as good as my long wheel base Avalanche? Heck No! But, I have always wanted a wrangler, I want to take the top/doors off and ride in the open air, and I want to be able to hit some light trails. I understand i will be losing a lot of "creature comforts", but am totally content with that.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

We just replaced my rubi TJ with a new jk (wife still has 06 TJ as well). The drive home averaged over 60 mph for break in and got 22.96 m/g calculated for over 150 miles. I thought that something was wrong in my gas fill or calculations ... so, we checked it with the on board computer and got 22.6 m/g last weekend. What is wrong; I never got that high of a m/g from any other wrangler in the last 20 years (except for one 4 cyl). Whine, whine ... This is great! We love our junky jeeps and have voted with our checkbooks for them for some time. The jeeps get driven more than any other vehicle .... case in point 1995 BMW convertible only has 14k miles ... 2006 F150 with less than 7500; both jeeps are driven almost evcery day!

Last edited by mefly2; 04-24-2009 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default My Own JK Issues

I traded in my 02 Grand with 4.5" RockKrawler lift and 33" Duelers in August for an 09 Rubicon Unlimited. This is my 4th Jeep and I want to love it just like all of the others, however, I just keep having issues with it that I never had on any of my others (the Grand had 175k miles, the '89 Cherokee before was 245k when I sold it and the '85 Cherokee before that was 240 before I blew the motor). I'm now just shy of 7k miles and have had so many issues!

First, after about 2 weeks there was something VERY wrong in the front end. I took it in and after 3 test drives and 7 days the dealer finally figured out there was something seriously/dangerously wrong in the steering. They replaced the steering box gears I believe and sent me on my way. It took the dealer another 4 days to get the part "overnighted" and get my JK back to me, and in the mean time I had to miss my Labor Day trip to Moab. It seems like this is a somewhat common problem as I have read a few other threads that discuss this and it sounds like they get the same dealer run-around I get. I still notice some rattle in the front end when the engine is warmed up, but the dealer says they can't feel anything. Very frustrating because it comes and goes, and I just have bad visions of what will happen as soon as my warranty runs out.

Also, when I did take it in that first time I swore I could hear and exhaust leak. The dealer said they couldn't replicate it, but since then the noise has disappeared...What did they do and not tell me?

After my first oil change at the dealer (free) the Jeep came back to me making fun Jeep puddles in the garage. NOT COOL! Took it back and they fixed it but really made me loose faith in the service department.

In the last rain storm here I noticed a pool of water collecting on my passenger seat, dripping in from the freedom top connection to the back section over the roll-bar. The dealer said they checked it out but couldn't find a leak. Go figure. Wasn't even raining that hard.

In the last trip to the dealer (different dealer this time), I asked them to check out the rattling noise I'm getting from my transmission (6 spd). They told me they couldn't find anything but wanted to have the service manager do a ride-along. I took him out for a drive on a mildly rough pavement stretch next to the dealer and got the tranny to rattle (though nowhere near as loud as when I'm on gravel). He seemed puzzled but then told me it was just "gear clack" and that there was nothing they could do about it. He said they could replace the transmission but then it would probably start happening in another 30 days. WHAT?! I spent close to $40k on a new vehicle and they tell me to expect my transmission to rattle?! Has anyone else had this issue with their manual transmissions?

I'm at a loss here. I want to love this Jeep as much as I have loved my others, but am having a hard time, especially since this one has had the most problems, yet the only one I've bought new (or even with under 100k miles!)...
Old 11-09-2009, 08:47 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to see they have made quality improvements since 07.

Maybe we should bail them out again.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Good to see they have made quality improvements since 07.

Maybe we should bail them out again.
Could be like GM and be majority owned by the government.

Quick Reply: Are Jeep's made from crap?