Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Are Jeep's made from crap?

Old 04-20-2009, 09:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have been building my jk more and more to be like the tj. i completely tired of the fancy electronics. i like the idea of building a jk crawler but some times you wonder why? why did they make this this way or why would they do that? i guess the wrangler is just moving from being based for off road performance towards street performance. this is obvious because jk are bought to drive more then wheel.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have had a CJ, YJs, TJ and now a JK. The JK is by far the most comfortable and capable jeep I have had. I have not had any significant issues. I love my jeep; it is my daily driver and I use it for its intended purpose, exploring the out doors.

That being said, if you are not going to offroad a jeep, I would not recommend it to anyone. They have issues that most pavement pounders will not enjoy. And for the amount of technology (or lack-there-of), Jks are expensive in my book. You can buy a lot of car for what I have in my jeep.

Even standard dirt roads, go buy something with independant suspension all around and enjoy the ride. Jeeps are a way of life; you either love them or hate them. If you do not like it, get rid of it, but no need to bash them.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeepnboy
I have had a CJ, YJs, TJ and now a JK. The JK is by far the most comfortable and capable jeep I have had. I have not had any significant issues. I love my jeep; it is my daily driver and I use it for its intended purpose, exploring the out doors.

That being said, if you are not going to offroad a jeep, I would not recommend it to anyone. They have issues that most pavement pounders will not enjoy. And for the amount of technology (or lack-there-of), Jks are expensive in my book. You can buy a lot of car for what I have in my jeep.

Even standard dirt roads, go buy something with independant suspension all around and enjoy the ride. Jeeps are a way of life; you either love them or hate them. If you do not like it, get rid of it, but no need to bash them.
Well Put!

I have to say, and I might get bashed for this but, I looked at getting a ruby instead of a base X and found that I would probably have to fix all the gadgets that come stock witht he ruby anyway. I looked at the numbers and when I found a base X for 13,500$ The math made sense. Picked up the base and have started to build

That's not to say that Rubicons aren't great I am just worried that Chrysler can't get all those moving parts in without issues! I love my base model cause there is nothing on it that can go wrong that I can't just replace with better after market gear!
Old 04-20-2009, 10:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to add another complaint to my list.

Last weekend I was driving my completely stock 2009 Rubicon Unlimited that I have had for about 3 months. About 7K miles. Start it up and go about 5 miles and the ESP comes on. REALLY hard. Like nothing I have ever experienced and I have experienced the ESP kicking on far too many times unpredictability on my lifted JK 2dr that was a lemon. It felt like it was locked up in 4wd low on the pavement. I was going in a straight line at about 45 on dry pavement. No reason to turn on. There was another vehicle behind me and no place to turn off for a few hundred feet.

When I finally pull over (fortunately without running into anything from being jerked back and forth) the rear brakes were smoking. I shut the vehicle off and the light cleared. I let it sit for 10 minutes or so while I walked around the vehicle looking for some reason why this could have happened. I didn't see anything so I started driving again. Everything was fine for 30 minutes or so and then it happened again. This time on the highway going 65. I almost hit the car beside me this time in a corner because of the POS ESP. The car had to swerve off the road and skidded around in the dirt. This time I pulled over and called the dealer to come get it.

This was not the stall bug. The only light on the dash was the stupid ESP one. This is ridiculous and dangerous. I am fed up.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:23 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think anyone is "bashing" jk's here. We all love our jeeps, but when you spend most of your time fixing crap it's gets old. I have 17k on the clock and have had the steering box, steering shaft, tierod, balljoints, draglink and torque converter all replaced on a mostly stock rig.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:33 PM
JK Newbie

I'm sorry that you feel that way as well. I have two 2008 Unlimiteds and have had no problem with either of them. My wife put 30,000 miles on hers in the first year with only minor MY GIG issues. Sounds like a lemon to me.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

536 miles and not one single problem!!
Old 04-21-2009, 12:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
I don't think anyone is "bashing" jk's here. We all love our jeeps, but when you spend most of your time fixing crap it's gets old. I have 17k on the clock and have had the steering box, steering shaft, tierod, balljoints, draglink and torque converter all replaced on a mostly stock rig.
Sorry to say this bro but the only thing you can do know is Squeeze that Jeep and make LEMONADE cuz you Definitely bought a lemon.

just get rid of it and get aother one
Old 04-21-2009, 02:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

isnt there a switch or something to turn off the ESB? personally I don't feel I need of that gadget wizardry BS, i'd rather drive the vehicle than have it drive me.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Forums allow for those with issues to come together and make it seem as if a make or model has problems. My prior vehicle (between Jeeps) was a$60,000 VW Touareg which has won every off-road race possible I think and if you looked on the Touareg forum you would think that the vehicle should be shot. My Touareg, like my JK, have been essentially flawless.

Now the tough-love part - stop complaining and deal with your dealer or area factory rep. and get your problems taken care of. If you don't like it - sell it. BUT don't buy a vehicle that gets a rated 15-19 mpg that has 202 hp (at sea level) and complain about the power or fuel consumption. Otherwise buy an all-wheel-drive wussmobile and live with the smoother ride, better economy and oh yeah - watch out for those shopping carts at the mall. They'll put a dent in your $30,000 rock crawler. (Okay sorry, that's my Tuesday rant).

Quick Reply: Are Jeep's made from crap?